1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

vintage Ampeg v4-b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rudedogg, Mar 2, 2008.

1. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    Hey all, ive got a chance to get an old (early70s) Ampeg v4-b for about $350. Cosmetically it is very nice BUT channel one doesn,t function at all and who knows when it was last retubed/capped. Im thinking the channel repair could not be major since #two functions well. Is it a fair price or should i stay away.....your opinions appreciated.

Thanx
    John

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Decent price if it works, fixing channel one could be very cheap (jack) or cost the price of the amp.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you could find out repair cost before buying, that might be a great deal. They are among my favorite amps of all time.

4. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    Thanx fenderhutz...is there any possible way to know if the channel is completely DOA with out complete dissassembly, or should i lowball the offer further so not as risky....he dropped from quite a bit more rather easily so im a bit concerned now! I was hoping that inside the amp the two channels were pretty much the same path so not many components could have failed (jacl,loose solder)

John

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    If channel 2 still works without ANY issues it's probably a small fix.

I would buy the amp with the intentions that you will need to spend about an extra 100 bucks to get fixed. Even at 450 it's a decent deal for a working V4B.

6. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    Thanx for the info Fender, iwill give it a decent run thru tomorrow...and see if all works in #2. If i dont end up buying i will pass on the info to anyone who would like a chance at the amp!:cool:

7. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    my exp with old ampeg v4b's(and especially svt's)is that they've often been riden very hard and put away very wet for decades, with little to no regard to upkeep. that's the reason you see them on the cheap sometimes. example; a cap job/full retubing/labor on an svt could easily go to $7-900, for high quality parts and tubeage. so what you usually see on old ampegs are the minimum repairs required and that's it. at $350 i'd set that much more aside and have the thing re-furbbed from stem to stern if it needs it. it'll need a cap job if it has'nt gotten one already. it's a deserving amp for sure; a well cared for vintage ampeg is a thing of beauty

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    IME limited recent experience $450 is an excellent price for a working V4B.

9. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    O.K. so now i have like a 37 year old tube amp!!....AWESOME sound out of Channel#2. Loud as hell thru both my T.E. cabs at 4 or 5,...sounds like there is a chorus on the bass, REALLY NICE! BUT.....not a thing out of #1. Not even a slight buzz or hum even with an instrument plugged in at full volume, funny no?? Anyway i paid $325 for it as it is...Cosmetically it is wonderful...a little bit of wear on the tolex, very minimal, even the bottom looks great, corners are like new as is the baffle cloth, even the face plate is in great shape, couple scratches around the inputs and controls, but one of the best looking vintage amps ive seen. Looks very well cared for....so whats up with channel one??? Will get it fixed, she DEFINATELY deserves it! Probably needs REALLY gone over as the owner says he's had it for 25 years and never had it serviced, not even one tube! Never had a problem with it!, other than the channel going down.They must have built em well back then.

John

10. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    $325 wow!! I always use channel #1 for some reason but I don't think that there is any difference. If it were mine I'd take it to a good tech and find out what's up w/ the channel. If its cheap to fix - have fix. If its not but doesn't affect the amp, and the other channel works fine I might just leave it be.

11. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Since you're working on number 2, at least you know the trannies are OK. I bet dead preamp tube or bad solder joint.

That'll be $350 well spent. V4bs are shiznet. :cool:

12. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    Yea....thanx ...i figured the power section is working great, so cant be too much trouble($$$) to fix. And i got it for $325, so even if i have to recap and tube it, ill have a really clean vintage Ampeg for under $600! Ill take it apart this weekend and see if its anything obvious, if not, my brother is a wiz.. electrical engineer with a masters... he'll fix er up, but think im an idiot for not figuring it out....oh well. MORE BEER!

13. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    Hey NYSBOB....just noticed your signature, im from Youngstown, Ohio. Lot of us TBers from here:cool:

14. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    Thanx Pedro....KIller sound out of two though! I haven't owned an all tube amp since about 1982, i was 18 and sold my 70s V4B head and cab for $450! Forgot what the tube mojo was......ill fix her no matter the cost, and never sell this one!

15. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Understood. I've recently come back. I haven't owned a tube amp since like 1971.

16. Congrats..... I've had tube amps ever since I started playing in 1972!!! I've not ever been without one-well my whole rig & 73 Precision got stolen in '88, but even then I had a Bassman 120 IIRC to play outta til I bought meself another. Love the V4's!!

17. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    Thanx Rod , i still gotta see bout the fix tho....looks darn funny on my Trace cabs, it is about 4" wider than them. Guess now ive have to find a vintage cab for it! I just realized that now now have an all tube head, the Ampeg, an all solid state head-Markbass, hybrid amp-Trace Elliot, and a combo! lots of toys!

John

18. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Congrats! I just picked up an old V4 last weekend, too!

So where are the pictures???

19. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    Thanx!
    Will get some pics up soon...busy tonight but will get on it!

20. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    O.K.....i replaced the first 12ax7 with an old trace one i had and channel one fired right up! So that was easy... after playing a bit though it started to make like a white noise...like the ocean with a couple low pops here and there. It goes away for a bit if i switch polarity. Any techie help??.oh and all the preamp tubes are ax7s...will that hurt it? i know ive got to have it gone over, just checkin things out a bit, inside is spotless like never cracked open.

John