Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Ampeg V4B Capacitors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icemasseric, Jan 30, 2006.

1. I just bought a white rocker 1976-1979 Ampeg V4B for 480 dollars locally. It has brand new Sovtek 7027's and plays beautifully. No hiss, very quiet when not playing, no hum, etc. I love it. I have now read that these things need new capacitors after 30 years and may have problems if they aren't replaced. The local tube amp expert quoted me at $250(!!) to replace these, as he said there is extensive reconfiguring involved. I am pretty competent with solid state electronics, and good with a soldering iron. Is this a job I can do myself? Cap kits are only 60 dollars on fliptops. I am aware that there are very high voltages in some of the caps, and would ensure that each one is discharged before working on them. What do you guys think? I don't want to pay 250, as I already paid quite a bit for the amp. (maybe a bit too much, but this is cheaper than the average price on ebay these day). Also someone is offering to sell me an ampeg white rocker SVT with new tubes and caps for 750 dollars. I think i'd rather buy that than drop 250 on this V4. Any thoughts?

2. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    $250 is definately a lot for that repair. It isn't too involved and if you have decent knowledge I am sure you can do it. You already spoke about discharging the caps so that would of been my biggest recommendation. $750 for an SVT with new tubes and a cap job is an extremely great price. The tubes and caps are probably about 300 or so on there own.

3. I just talked to another tech, and he quoted me at about 5-6 dollars per cap plus an hours labor (35$). This is a much better price, and I think i'd rather pay him to do this than do it myself. He is an experienced guitar and bass amp repairman. What a price discrepancy! The guy who quoted me 250 said that he would have to modify some of the metalwork to fit the capacitors in, and he was going to also replace some tube sockets. Perhaps that is why his price was so much more. I'm very tempted with this SVT though. It is in beautiful shape.

4. Also, should I buy the 60 dollar capacitor replacement kit from fliptops and give it to the tech to use? Or would we be better off just getting parts from mouser or wherever the tech gets them.

5. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I just got done putting new caps in a V4 head and it is really easy. With that cap kit from fliptops you would not need to alter the chassis at all, drill holes etc... If the amp isn't humming right now, the caps are probably fine but it doesn't hurt to replace them. I would definately pick up that SVT if I were you, if you don't want it you could sell it for almost twice that amount on ebay if it is in good shape. If you pass it up I am sure plenty of people on here will be begging for the hookup... The 2nd tech estimate sounds much better.

6. blast! the SVT has been sold. I should have acted upon it. Oh well, I am very happy with my V4B. The tech I talked to seems to want to go with buying caps individually as they will be cheaper.