1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Ampeg V4b vs Darkglass Microtubes 900, what would you buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leothebit, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Vintage V4b

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Darkglass Microtubes 900

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. leothebit

leothebit

Sep 27, 2013
    Brazil
    So, I have the opportunity to buy any of these heads for approximately the same price (it's quite hard to find good amps/heads where I live). The darkglass head would be a bit cheaper.

I can't really decide, though. Would the Darkglass Microtubes 900 be able to emulate a acceptable tube OD tone? Would the Ampeg be loud enough for live use? Is the tube tone worth the maintenance and the extra weight?

I feel like I'd enjoy the V4b far more in a studio, and the darkglass would be a versatile and portable head that would kill it live in any situation. Can't really decide what to buy, what do you guys think about it? I know they are almost polar opposites, but each one would satisfy a part of my needs I think.

2. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Kansas City
    A well-oiled V4b is a glorious amp. If you can find one that's running well, it's tough to beat. They're plenty loud through the right cab. Don't expect to keep up with drums through a 2x10, but a solid 4x10 or larger will do drum volume well with a little grit. I always use a small amount of boost into mine for more overall volume and dirt, but that's my preference.

The MT900 will certainly be more portable, versatile, and have more headroom, but that's true of most any class D head. The drive is cool, but nothing compared to an actual V4(b) pushed hard.

As is the deal now with a vintage tube amp vs. a class D head it's just a trade-off between portability / versatility and what a lot of folks would agree would be better tone. It all depends on the tone you want though. Personally, I have a V4 and a preamp/class D power amp rig so I can choose between the two, but that's not always realistic.

Good luck!

Bassmec likes this.
  3. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    Can't beat a v4b for sound, but it is heavy. I use a D class for gigs sometimes (pf500) but only for convenience. If I had to choose one, v4b every day.

Bassmec likes this.