1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage bass amps other than Ampeg and Fender

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, Apr 24, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd like to start a thread on vintage amps other than Fender and Ampeg. I guess you got that from the thread title. I'm specifically looking for info and pics of amps of the early 60's and 50's. We all know B-15's and Bassmans, but I'd like to see some attempts from other companies at building a decent bass amp before the SVT and 360/301 came along, and especially amps before the B-15 came along.

I know there weren't many bass amps other than the Bassman and the Ampeg 800 series Bassamps, but many bassists used accordion amps as well, so you could include them in this thread just so we can have some eye candy.

So if any of you have any interesting old amps you'd like to show off, this is the place to do it. And if you have any off-the-beaten-path amps from the 70's, you can post them as well. But let's cut it off at the 70's, please.

pht2356 likes this.
  2. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Sunn was big back then. Lets see some vintage Sunn rigs!

SlimS, Arthur U. Poon and Happy Face like this.
  3. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    There's some good Traynor rigs from the 60's - too bad I don't own one. This should be fun to watch.

BillMason and Happy Face like this.
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    When I saw the thread title, Sunn, Acoustic, and HiWatt came to mind...

- georgestrings

5. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Nothing here to show off, but remember Kustom amps?

6. Vox 1967 Super Beatle

North Coast Music makes and sells licensed (modern) reissues.

7. and do we remember HH?

Tvrtko likes this.
  8. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Guild Thunderbass series. I dug the pole mounted heads. Later in the early 70's There was GBX, attempt at a modular rig.. And are we discounting Olivers since they have a direct line to Ampeg? That elevator set up was cool until it did'nt work and you had to screwdriver the top up and down

9. Bassist01545

Bassist01545 Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2006
    ACoustic 360 and 370's were big (in more ways then one). Marshall also had a few bass rigs out there, Kustom was another

Happy Face likes this.
  10. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Sunn Sunn Sunn did I mention Sunn?

11. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've got badass single 15 Standel. It looks pretty bad, but I stuck a JBL in it and it will defintely kick some butt - lots of swampy bottom, very usable for smaller gigs. I don't take it out much, but I love the looks I get when drag that sorry looking thing in and then it sounds great when fired up.

TomB likes this.
  12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Silvertone?

13. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I'd give my remaining toes for a vintage Orange!

14. Kustoms were probably the biggest selling amps around here in the '70's (made in Chanute, KS; big, puffy, tuck 'n' roll). Now adays, I can't understand why they were popular, (price maybe?), but to each his own (my high school had 2 in the band dept, noisy as hell, no gain). There have been some sweet looking tube Guild heads and cabs on ebay lately. If I had more spare change, might be tempted to try one. Can't honestly say if I've ever heard a Sunn amp or not. Guessing probably not, but they seemed to be worshipped in some circles. Seems to be a commonplace to try to recreate the tones we grew up listening to. Best of luck to all.

15. I saw a band a couple weeks ago with the bass player using an "Earth" tube amp, the tone was great w/ a P bass... i did some research and it looks like they were hit or miss

16. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Plush Amps was a NYC-area brand in the late 1960's and 1970's. They were not the most reliable, but a good one sounded very good. They were upholstered like Kustoms, but had tubes. The most famous user was probably Ron Wood when he was with Jeff Beck. I played my first gig with a borrowed Plush 1060 rig and presently own a Plush 1060 head.

http://www.plush-amps.com

There is some relationship between the Plush and Earth brands, but the history of that is murky.

And another thread about Plush, right here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349822

17. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    i remember seeing Muddy Waters and his bass player was using a st. george

i remember premier amps, not so good for bass really, but if i still had my 1 x 15, well i saw one go for 1500 about two months ago

webb amps out of antioch ca were a deal, they eventually became a sought after amp for pedal steel players

jordan amps lasted for about two years or so before they folded

and standels, mmmmmmmmmmm

18. Red5-
    There was a Guild Thunderbass head on ebay this week. Was thinking about bidding, but it's the first one I've ever seen. I was thinking about buying it because it has a cool name.
    I'm funny that way.

19. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Yeah cool name, gave you delusions of grandeur, but it was a gutless amp by my recall.The original Tbass head mounted on 2 1" posts above the speaker cabinet and looked "Space Age"!Some more obscuros? Sound Amps. A study in Grey tolex. Baldwin amps were nice to look at in two tone Royal blue tolex. I think they were both keyboard amps.

20. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    Sunn 2000 S.

Used to own one in the '70s with my 59 Precision, and 2
    JBL D140's. (I no longer own any of the equipment).
    About 2 months ago I saw one in guitar shop along the original
    the 18" Sunn bottom---
    so I plugged into in it with a Marcus Miller jazz bass and played it for an hour.
    The next day I bought it. (without the 18' bottom -too big and heavy for my car).

nostaglia vs reality...
    The amp is heavy, bulky & fragile.
    It takes up a lot room in my Toyota vs my Mesa M2000. Not as loud either. I have to use hand truck to move 60 lbs of tube love-- 4 6550s.

also had to replace as the original Tung Sols in were shot...
    and not cheap either..

And there 's no DI out like Mesa. so I have use whatever the club has. (Small concession)
    And there's no mid's controls either. So I have work the mids off my F bass.

But-
    for the blues and small clubs- The bottom end really shakes
    the room with My F bass 6 er. Literally- and pentrates thru
    the floor. . I forgot what the tube sound can do.
    And the guys in the band love the Tone for vintage thing.