1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage bass and a sad story

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I went to GC yesterday to visit an old friend, a 77 stingray I had played a while back and fallen in love with. Now this is no ordinary stingray, it has a natural finish body and a fretless maple board with flats which is a recipe for some major yum factor. I grabbed the bass, plugged it in, tuned it, and started playing. I had been looking forward to it because I had loved it so much the last time, but this time whenever I fingered a note past the 5th "fret" it buzzed badly and farther up the neck the notes didn't even come out cause the string was flat against the board. I figured the neck just needed some bow so I took a look down the neck and noticed it had significant bow but it was just warped toward the end. I'm no expert on woods, but I can't see a bass taken propor care of developing those kind of problems in one month's time. Sometimes I don't even want to know what goes on in that store. It makes me sad though.