1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage bass help!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rico, Apr 25, 2006.

1. rico

rico

Apr 25, 2006
    Hi
    I just recently bought a vintage (circa late 70's early 80's) Hondo II neck through bass. I bought it for a project so it came with no hardware or PU's just the original tuners. It has a cavity for and active setup. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good set of active PU's? (preferably not too expensive as i paid $50 for the bass!). Also if you guys could recomend where i may find some Pics of a similar bass so that i may reference the hard ware. I have no idea what type of bridge it takes. here is wha tit looks like on ebay, as i havent recieved it yet

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7408263946&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

2. rico

rico

Apr 25, 2006
    cool thanks!

3. I'm partial to EMGs and Bartolinis but whatever you think sounds good.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Your best bang per buck right now would be the P-bass pickups direct from Reverend. (Search this pickups forum for a long thread about them). They are $18 a set plus shipping, and they are killer.

They are passive, and people have suggested they would sound best without a preamp, but there's no reason I know of why you couldn't hook a preamp up to them for active use.

5. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    if you buy kent armstrong pu you wont be disappointed

6. rico

rico

Apr 25, 2006
    you know i was moveing towards some EMG's but now i think im going to look at some Reverends, by any chance does anyone know any info on this bass? I have no idea what bridge will be compatable?