Vintage Bass Machine Heads (142 Series) Gear Ratio

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LowNloud1, Dec 5, 2015.

1. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    I looked at the Grover specs and could not find any reference as to what the gear ratio is for this tuner. They are on my Gibson SG 2013. This is the Vintage Elephant Ear or Clover style. Gibson calls it Shamrock.

Does anyone know?

2. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    If you can't find a spec:

If the backs are open, just count the teeth on the ring gear. The worm gear has one tooth effectively, so the ratio equals the number of ring gear teeth.

If not open back, remove a string from the post, attach a pointer to the post and align the pointer with a convenient reference point. Then count number of tuning key turns required to return the pointer to it's starting point.

-

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I tried this. It didn't take any turns at all to return the pointer to it's starting point. Do I need a shim?

Sorry - couldn't resist.

MarkoYYZ, megafiddle and sissy kathy like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021