Vintage bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by motherfunker, Apr 30, 2002.

1. motherfunker

Apr 29, 2002
    New York
    what is the best bass to buy if you want a "vintage" style and look? I want to go for a Fender '62 Jazz Bass, i heard they are the best. :D
  2. awsome choice! i love fenders, i dont think you can go wrong. as long as it fits your hands and so forth, go for it.
  3. motherfunker

Apr 29, 2002
    New York
    i know fenders are good, but i was wondering (to be more specific) if there is a vintage bass that i can use to play classic rock/alternative/metal/psychedelia.
  4. dabassr

dabassr Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    I would encourage you to do plenty of research if you are considering a vintage bass. You can find a lot of info on the web by searching "vintage guitars" or "vintage fenders", "vintage bass" etc. There are sites that will give you details about verifying authenticity of basses, tuners, pick-ups, and so on as well as pricing information, (prices can vary significantly). I think its a great idea. Just be sure to do the research if you don't already know quite a bit about vintage basses, (to be sure what you actually get is what you wanted).
    Good Luck!
  5. If you like vintage but can't stand the price. Do what I did 5 years ago, get one of Fender's Custom Shop Relic Basses. I got a 60's Jazz Relic, looks worn out and old. The neck & frets are like new, just the body is made to to look old. The finish on the neck is tinted to be as if 40 years old. Only paid $1500.00. But now the retail is over $3000.00. There are some around for a good price. Also the 60's Mex Jazz is a really good deal. (but it looks new). Of course I couldn't leave it alone, DiMarzio Ultra Jazz Pickups, Badass II Bridge. J-Retro Preamp.
  6. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I hope you have several thousand dollars laying around if you want a real 62 Fender Jazz. :eek:
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings