1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage basses....play them or salt them away?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Jul 22, 2012.

1. On a daily basis and I gig with it.

17 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. On a daily basis but no gigs.

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Once a week

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Once a month

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. It rarely gets played

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Never play it

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Just curious how many vintage bass owners play their basses on a regular basis, only once in a while or choose to store them away. I can understand not wanting to get a bass stolen or hacked up but surely the temptation must be great. Do you play them and if so how often?

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Just about all my basses are vintage and I gig them all. They aren't pristine collectors pieces so I don't feel bad using them.

3. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    I guess if you want to call my 1979 Fender P bass "vintage". (Maybe semi-vintage?)
    It is really not a desired collectible bass but she is pristine!

I don't play it everyday but as a weekend warrior gigging player, I gig with it about twice a month. I will take it to the gigs and usually play a set or two with it, trading off between it and my Fender J bass. If I did own a really valuable vintage bass, I would find it hard to gig with it on a regular basis. But to each his own.

4. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    Why stash it away? Who are you saving it for? You could die tomorrow, then what?
    Play it, use it, enjoy it.

5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    "Vintage" covers a lot of ground, from pristine collector's items to road-rat beaters. I'm fond of old '70's Fenders, but always buy (and gig) players rather than perfect-condition museum pieces.

6. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I only have one bass that i think is older then the 70's and several from the 70's, but i play and gig them all.

7. seventhsunbass

seventhsunbass Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Maryland
    G&L L-1000 serial number B000833, 'hog/ebony among the other pre-'84 G&L's and I gig them all. I love the tone, the vibe, the mojo et al. While these may not measure up to the term 'vintage' in some folks mind, they are my elders and I venerate them daily!! :D

8. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    I only have three "vintage" or collectible axes. They get played as often as I can. I don't gig, just play/practice at home and on the occasional friend gathering, etc.

Another hobby of mine is car collecting and driving, sometimes competitively, at tracks. In that community we have a saying that goes like: "Having an exotic car and not driving it is like having a gorgeous wife/girlfriend and not f$&#ing her". You are just saving it for somebody else to enjoy.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Honest question - do you own any???

- georgestrings

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I am playing my Modulus basses most of the time these days but still gig my 1978 Stingray, 1973 Jazz and 1974 P quite a bit. I pick them up daily to play also.

They are meant to be played IMO.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Regarding the OP: the only bass I own that *might* qualify is my '76 P - I gig it semi-regularly, but there are some situations where I feel it's smarter to use another bass that's more easily replaceable... I don't really practice on it much, since I have 3 basses I use just for that purpose, although I use it at rehearsals about as often as I gig it - semi-regularly... Also, I have better options tone-wise for some situations - so, that's sometimes a consideration... Steady gigging for atleast the last 10 years has enabled me to build a modest "collection" of 11 basses, so I have a few options available to me...

My situation is a bit different than many - for 90% of my gigs, I use both 4 strings and 5ers... Now, for the other 10%, where it's 4 bangers only, I tend to use my '76 about half the time, depending on the circumstances...

Now, I totally get the "if you got it, play it" mentality, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with the approach of using a little discretion regarding an instrument that's likely to appreciate with time - to each their own, though...

I do think that it's lame for people to judge either approach if they don't actually own any instruments that would qualify - JMO, though...

Lastly - I didn't vote in the poll, because on average, I don't play mine every week, but definitely more often than monthly...

- georgestrings

12. Calderdash

Calderdash

Jan 26, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I take my 68 P bass on every single tour or show I do, and have for years. I take great pains to care for it, and I almost never let it leave my sight.
    The guy who sold it to me said that he felt it needed to be played and not sit around in a case. That's why he sold it to me, as he surely didn't need the money. I took that advice to heart and I've never hesitated to use it, not once. (Plus, a good flight case never hurts.....)

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Wow! I am pleasantly surprised that the bulk of vintage owners gig their basses. I had a preconceived notion that most of them rarely saw the light of day. What about safeguarding them against theft at gigs or while on tours?

14. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Instrument insurance.

I won't own an instrument that I won't gig. I don't own any vintage ones as I think my new ones are better than any vintage one I've played (ymmv). But I frankly don't "get" collecting. Cars are for driving, instruments are for playing. Collecting is for baseball cards...