1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

vintage basses... questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackEdition, Jan 11, 2012.

1. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
    i have two questions: 1) is there a website or other resource where one might be able to go to determine the approximate value of vintage basses/instruments? i realize they're worth what what people pay for them, but, i thought a resource that provided a range of prices for reference would be nice. 2) the local music shop by me got in an early 70s vintage fender p bass... assuming it's all original (which i would definitely verify) what do you think that it would be worth?

2. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Search Ebay (completed auctions) and other for sale sites (like the one here) for similar basses. Also check Gruhn Guitars. Actual and current sale prices are more accurate than Orion or other "blue books".

3. I always check with ebay on pricing....it may be inflated (sometimes) but it's a starting point.

gigslut beat me :)

4. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    +1 to checking auction sites to see what the SOLD ones go for.

The ones that don't sell, don't count. ;)

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
  6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    ^THIS

Also...MOST Buy It Now prices on Ebay are fairly high...watch a lot of auctions that have low price and no reserve, you'll start to see what stuff is actually going for...

Also, there is no actual price for a lot of stuff. You could see a 63 P bass go for $5k one day, and a similar one go for $8k...it's just about who is watching, who is buying, and a little bit of luck ;)

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup, your two best resources would be private sales on ebay, and dealer listing prices on gbase.
    If it's for insurance puposes, then you'll most likey have to get an appraisal.

8. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I'm just learning about vintage Fenders myself and there seems to be a lot to learn. There are so many factors. The prices drop substantially when the bass has been refinished or is not totally original due to parts replacements and modifications. These less original basses seem even harder to evaluate to me. Will it hold it's value or is it just an old bass now? I still want one but haven't decided if I'm willing to pay what people are asking. :)

9. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
    these are all great things to keep in mind. thanks everyone for your advice.

i didn't have time to really play the bass all that much, but, the couple minutes that i noodled felt reallllly good. hopefully i'll get a chance to go back and plug it in and get a better idea of the sound. hopefully the owner will be there too and could answer my questions about originality

10. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Vintage Guitar (Magazine) Price Guide has a bass section. I have found it pretty accurate as an indicater of what ballpark the pricing will end up, or what to offer. It provides prices for used all-original basses in good to excellent condition. I use that as a starting point when assessing the condition and originality of a bass.

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    VG Priceguide +1

12. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +2. When I was heavily into collecting vintage instruments I subscribed religiously to Vintage Guitar Magazine. Their annual price guide was very helpful.

13. I always found GBase to have pretty high prices. Haven't been there lately, maybe the bad economy knocked some of it down?

14. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Mmmmm. So you were able to kick the habit? :confused: :D

15. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I did. I owned a number of basses from the 60s and 70s - Fender, Rics, Stingrays, Guilds, Martin, Gibson, Ovation, etc. For about twenty years I only owned vintage instruments. Over time I decided it was time to let them all go so that someone else could enjoy them. No regrets.

I still have my first "nice" bass, my '66 Guild Starfire I that I purchased new :)

16. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    That's funny/scary because just this past year I decided to sell my neo basses and limit them to vintage. I have another 20 years to go, I guess. :)

17. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    The trick to getting decent prices is to know more than the seller. Don't take any assurances as given, they might not know what is original, or might not be entirely honest or have forgotten things that were changed.

18. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    70's P-Basses are everywhere... If you don't like the price of one, look at another...

19. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
  20. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
    so i finally was able to get a price on the bass... the dude wanted 3k for it. it wasn't even 100% original (said the pup was replaced with a fender custom shop). it was a nice playing bass but i don't think that i would ever pay that kind of premium for a non original bass