Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage basses & thumbrests

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JJd2sc, Oct 17, 2003.

1. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    This is a dumb question, but Ive noticed on lots of old fenders that the thumbrest seems to be on the wrong side... Is that in fact a thumbrest?

2. its so u can play with ur thumb, its a finger rest but the call it a thumb rest.

3. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Cool, that makes a lot of since considering lots of players used their thumb or a muted sound back then... Thanks!

4. Actually, back when the electric bass first came out most of the players were Upright players.

Upon switching to the electric they used there thumb to play much in the way I use my fingers.

So the thumb rests were not actually a thumb rest, some players would rest their other fingers on it.

In the late 60's early seventies, finger plucking became very popular and thus the thumb rest was used to rest the thumb on!

I use the back pickup cover to rest my thunb on!

I'm sure someone else will have a clearer explanation as far as dates and years!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Just a guess, but I think electric bassists back in the 50s were more likely to be converted guitarists than converted string bassists.

The few times I saw anyone playing an electric bass back in the 50s, it was either being thumbpicked or thumplucked. Treena's right, flatpicking and fingerstyle plucking weren't common until the 60s.

The old Fender guys referred to the finger rest as a "tugbar".

6. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    In the fender Bass Book they say what year, they
    moved it. Here is a pic of my 1983 Fender Gold
    Jazz Bass with the tugbar on the treble side.
    [​IMG]

7. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Hmmm. Thumbrest still on the bottom on my early (binding/dots) 66 jazz.

[​IMG]

8. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'm pretty sure that the year of the thumbrest switch from the treble side to bass side was around '73.

9. I think it was the 70's also but I have nothng but my memory to back up my post.

Marc40a, do you have documentaion stating '73, or a link?

I'm quite sure you are correct.

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Unfortunately I don't... just memory.

11. Same here, just memory!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm pretty sure it was '74. To confirm, I searched gBase and the '73s currently listed have the rest on the lower bout and '74s have it on the upper bout. Of course, some have been removed, but I'm talking about the ones which still have the rest on or still have the screw holes visible.

13. hey i have a '73 p bass and it has the "thumbrest" on the treble side they switched to the top in 74. they also started using a different routing pattern for the electronics under the pickguard.

14. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    The finger/thumb rest on the original P-bass was held on with one screw. I noticed that it swivels and this may have been to allow some degree of adjustment or maybe nobody realized it would swivel. Whatever the case, by the 1957 re-design, the thumb rests were now held on with 2 screws as they are to this day.

Bit of trivia for all those thumb rest fanatics out there.

15. Dend254

Dend254

Oct 18, 2002
    NYC NY
    My 73 Jazz bass has screw holes for the thumbrest on the treble side of the bass. The rest had been removed before I got the bass.

16. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Hmmm. Thumbrest still on the bottom on my early (binding/dots) 66 jazz.
    ---------------------------------------
    Hippiesandwich!

:eek: That´s a beatyfull looking jazz you have there. Absolutely gorgeous!
    Does it come with matching headstock?

Regards!

Splanky

17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup, for the production Fender basses, 1974 marked the last year that tortise pickguards were used (switched to black) and the first year the finger rest was moved over to the bass-side of the body.

Keech, this pic is for you!
    [​IMG]

18. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Shur'nuff does!!! :cool:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Beauty!
    Paddle tuners :meh:

Anyway! Nice instrument!
    I like matching headstocks on jazzbasses!

Here is mine!

20. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Again!