Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigBullyBassist, Nov 4, 2003.

1. BigBullyBassist

BigBullyBassist

Oct 27, 2003
    Hey I've seen a bass I really like, but don't know the company. I've played it and it's great, but quite cheap compared to others, and as I don't know the name, I don't know whether it will be any good when I get better. Do any of you know what these basses are like?

2. BigBullyBassist

BigBullyBassist

Oct 27, 2003
    No, that is cool though.It's a musicman stingray replica. It looks good, I'd get a real one if I could afford it. It has active pickups, but is only £180. Thats the bit that bovers me.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Is it an OLP like this??

[​IMG]

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    If its a Stingray replica then its doubtful that its vintage.

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Did you mean "Vantage"?

6. Hey guys, I also saw a bass one time, it had some strings and frets and stuff. i was wondering what the exact resail value of this bass would be if i had decided to buy it and sell it. Im really confused because i went into a store recently and they had all kinds of basses very similar to the one i saw, with stirngs and frets and what not, with a price range ranging from next to nothing to the thousands of dollars. Could you help me out please?

im sorry man, i just couldnt resist. More info and we might be able to help ya out.

7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Now was that really necessary Rimas????

...It was funny though.. :p :D

8. What the guy means is:

There is a Stingray copy bass made by a company called "Vintage". To my knowlage this is a UK based company. I have played on the bass you are talking about, played quite nicely...can't say too much on sound as it was through a **** amp but it didn't sound "bad". I have to say though, it is a beginners bass but definitley one of the good beginniner bass's that verge on a "good bass" like a MIM fender. Seems like a good bass for the price. Don't pay over 200 for a Vintage.

9. BigBullyBassist

BigBullyBassist

Oct 27, 2003
    Yeh thats exactely what I meant. Thanks very much. Is this good enough to play onstage, and if not, any suggestions for about £250 that could be?

10. I wouldn't be able to say if it was good for stage stuff as I have not played one on stage but I doubt it would sound terrible, I think it would definitley cut through the mix. I think if you look around you could get a Mexican Fender for £350ish (if you are willing to save up) A MIM Jazz sounds really good for stage, recording, everything. A really good versitle cheapish bass, also check out the Yamaha BB504 (I think thats the model) one of the cheaper yamaha's with passive electronics, you could proberbly find one for 250. I got the 5 string version, sounds like a nice passive mix of a Fender jazz and sting ray or at least Flea's sound from Blood Sugar