1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Bassman 100 lacks the mids?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by carved czech, Apr 19, 2006.

1. I have the vintage Fender Bassman 100 alltube head, using AMPEG PB210H cab (400W/4Ohms), playing my old 1968 Fender Jazz Bass, flat strings. I have tried SWR Goliath Junior III 2x10 cab before changed it for Ampeg cab. I still can not get some serious mids from the Bassman, however I am turning the knobs "high" and "bass" on and off. I am using the "bass instrument" input on the amp.:help:

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    If it were my rig, I'd get a 1x15 cab instead of (or in addition to) the 2x10. Of course, that might not really help boost the mids, but it would sound great with that head and bass. :D Anyhow, that amp doesn't have a midrange knob, so you might want to get a parametric equalizer so you have some diredct control over the mids.

3. Yeah, I believe the sound with 1x15 cab would be great. Last Saturday I have played 1x15 Ampeg Rocket 100 solid state combo (jazz club´s on stage gear) and the sound was O.K.The lows (E string)were better then in my 2x10 cab, which I am using both for my double (recommended) and electric basses. Still I am sticky with tubes even if I think the tubes can not do the same thing as solid state amp.As I have no equalizer,I will try use my Fishman preamp (10MOhms input impedance) instead of it.

4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    A couple of tips, assuming that the amp has good recent tubes (and biasing) and a recap job within the past 5 or so years. If these haven't been taken care of, the amp's performance is unpredictable.

First, on these heads, the deep switch is wired "backwards" so that when it's down, it reduces clarity. Try the amp with deep switch up. Set the bass on about 3 and the treble about 4 or 5.

Second, try the normal channel instead of the bass channel. The mid control is cut only, so set it at 10, with the bass and treble around 2 or 3.

On mine, either channel can produce a clear full sound. It has newish JJ power tubes, biased correctly, and new filter caps plus some other part updates. I play it through a few different cabs, including an old Ampeg V6-B 215 cab.

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Try jumping the channels, or running through just the regular input.

6. Thanks for your tips, guys!
    CC

7. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    The tubes will have very little effect on the amount of midrange from the amp. The whole point of a Vintage Fender tube amp is that notched mid sound.

If you don't like try bass 3-4, mids full up, treble 2.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yeah, try bridging the channels. I always ended up getting a bunch of mids from doing that.

9. Thanks to all. I will keep on trying and testing.

10. I have tried the DOD "guitar" Equalizer (which my wife originally used for her electric violin former) and gained the high mids. The sound has improved so much, even my drummer has noticed the clearer tone of my bass. Like a next step I will get the BOSS Bass Equalizer and set the definately best old school jazz bass tone...