Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Bassmen

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ImSquare17, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Does anyone have much experience with the silverface bassmans? What do you think of them (excluding power)?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    They overdrive and distort pretty easily and are better suited for guitar than bass, but thats just my experience.

3. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Nice "traditional" bass tone, and easy to EQ for it. When I was younger and poorer (mamy moons ago,Grasshopper) I owned several and used to play them through homemade JBL 15 cabs. It is, however, difficult not to mention their power limitations - they do overload very easily and lack the headroom for the modern band gig (unless you are putting most of the bass through FOH, I suppose). In a nutshell, great old school tone - easy to get that "eggy" sound with a jazz bass,reliable but seriously limited for power.

4. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I remember when you'd go see a local band and everyone was using a Bassman, including one or two for the pa system!
    I guess I only had blackface Bassmans because I couldn't afford the cooler silverface ones back then!
    :p

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I had one, it was good for an overdriven bass sound, and a good low volume clean sound.

6. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    In my surf band, I'm going for a vintage early 60's sound.

I play through a '67 blackface Dual Showman. It's rated as 85w at 4 ohms. My lead guitarist knows a lot more about the Fender amps from this period, and pointed me towards the Dual Showman. I paid around $425 for what turned out to be a very nice amp. I play it through a 2x12 cab loaded with EV's and it sounds plenty loud.