vintage body with modern technology

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by x182, Mar 26, 2004.

1. x182

Mar 22, 2004
    what do you guys think of this idea.

using a vintage body and neck with modern pickups and preamp?
  2. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    as in, vintage STYLE or, a body from 1965?
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

No reason not to try that. What electronics are you considering? Some modern electronics sound very modern, some don't.
  4. x182

Mar 22, 2004
    vintage body..

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Some of the most Modern sounds I've heard come out of a Vintage J or P looking Bass are from the Basses of Pat Wilkins Basses(of Wilkins guitar finishes)you would have to hear it to believe it.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Sadowsky, anyone? :smug:
  7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ding ding! We have a winner. Now, buy me one.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Maybe a slab bodied 51 P turned 5 string active jazz bass? or maybe turned into a 6 string fretless :cool:

hey x182, just look to most boutique builders... most all do some sort of hot rodded "Vintage Fender"! Even Fender makes some Hot rodded Vintage Fenders

Real Vintage looses a lot of value once messed with! Unless it's trashed and you're restoring/refinishing... I'd leave the old the way they came.

9. Ditto, nice post James!

10. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I would strongly encourage you NOT to do anything to a vintage body and/or neck to change it in any way. Once an old bass, body, neck, etc, is modified, you can't turn back time. Not only will this have a significant impact on the value of that piece, but if you're looking for a modern sound, you could easily get a new bass and/or neck to go with an active electronics package. There are a lot of builders making oustanding modern jazz basses at very good values, and there are just as many great parts manufacturers producing great "vintage style" parts as well. Once you make that move to mod a body, you can't turn back time. I think it's best to leave the vintage stuff as vintage and use new parts to get your modern/vintage tone. ;)
  11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Like a RE-51 fender P-bass with active pick-ups.
  12. I bought my '71 Jazz a few months ago, and it was modded with Lindy Fralin pickups and a Sadowsky boost-only preamp.

All I can say is AMAZING. I've got black tapewound strings on it and it is the ultimate tone monster. EQ'ed flat, it's pure classic Fender tone; boosted, it gives me just about anything I could ask for.

I'm not sure I'd even consider restoring it to true vintage, as it's pretty much perfect as it is (and is definitely going to be an heirloom passed down through the generations :) )