1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Boom Box Question..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZenG, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Today I bought a vintage boombox from my thrift store.

It is a JVC PC-X200.

Everything works perfect.

However on the back there are L+R RCA jacks assigned "CD Out". (Although it has a built-in cd player with 5-band equalizer)

I take it this means I can run the cd signal to another device?

I'm leery of downloading the manual because the manual sites seem to be up to some shenanigans..

2. Aelfwine

Aelfwine

Jul 21, 2016
    3cdfdad7ea948b4b683c8b48eb6789ff.
    rapper-ll-cool-j-real-name-james-todd-smith-carries-a-boombox-upon-picture-id84258144?s=594x594.

3. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Probably, should be a line level output to run into a home stereo like most everyone had back in the day.

Mark

ZenG likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The 80s were so freaking awesome. Things are way too complicated today.

Yeah try running it to your stereo.

And pics or no cool new/old boom box.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    ZenG and mwbonsall like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Had???

CatSquare and ahc like this.
  6. IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

The JVC cost me 20 bucks (top pic)..

And quite awhile back I bought the Panasonic in the same store for 30 bucks.

They both work fine. I love these things for ease of use when practicing on bass.

Just select a radio station or plop in a cd, plug bass into bass amp ...and..play. :D:D:D

ERIC31, PsyDocHill, Helix and 3 others like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah that's the stuff. I had one almost just like them in my bedroom in high school...only they were just AM/FM cassette. I used to drive my mom nuts blasting Eddie Murphy and WASP and crap like that.

StayLow and ZenG like this.
  8. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Time to bust out the old tapes.

9. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    What, no dual cassette with 2x copy speed? I got a 1991 model Sony Mega Bass recently at the the Goodwill store for $7.75, and it works great.

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's a bookshelf stereo, not a boom box.

RichSnyder, bumperbass and rufus.K like this.
  11. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    My sister had the same JVC. Sounded great.

12. Tapes I don't care about right now. I have a box full of them. I also have tons of home recorded tapes.

None of these kinds of units do a great job on the kind of tape I used for recording.

The heads aren't built for it. Sure, they'll play store-bought tapes that were the norm back then. But for home I used tape that was light-years better than those.

Most cheapo cassette tape players you can buy now (and there certainly aren't many around in stores) all have cheapo heads in them that won't cut it for really good tape.

After the holidays I'm going to see a guy that collects vintage stuff and sells it (sort of a paying hobby). Maybe I'll find a half-decent good tape deck like they used to make.

13. When you google boombox, these are shown amongst the listings just like on E-bay.

14. ShadowImage

ShadowImage Guest

Jan 12, 2016
    They're definitely boomboxes as they are portable and one piece, which bookshelf stereos are not.

15. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Heres a pic of the model of boombox I had when I was a kid. It's long gone now; the pic isn't mine. I'd love to find one just like it and blast Piece of Mind out of it. Ah, the 80's. PRODPIC-1239.

ERIC31 likes this.
  16. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I had that exact same box. Stupidly forgot to lock my truck at work one day in 1988, gone. A really good sounding box.

17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    proxy.

ZenG likes this.
  18. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    This was my stereo in high school.
    48AB2A4F-7368-4F55-ADF0-9793C7B6B5F6-1969-0000024BA4C40364_tmp.
    It was an eight track player. 8 tracks. Count 'em. 8.

ZenG likes this.
  19. I had one that had a Mic input with level control on the front as well as line in RCAs. I would record on it, pop the cassette in another cassette deck, run that cassette into the first one's line in jacks and then plug my bass or guitar into the mic input for overdubs.

20. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    b89b48e50efbd60b07ba347d8a0a43de.