1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage bridge set up question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mojo3432, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Hello fellow bassists!! I just put a 50s Classic Vibe neck on a Sting Signature body. (Hated the STING inlay on the 12th fret of the Sting neck). I installed a SD Quarter Pound Basslines pickup, DR flat wounds and replaced the original chrome saddles with 2 brass ones that have a groove for the strings to rest on.

Have any of you had a hard time with the set up using these vintage bridges??

Seems VERY finicky. I have the height adjustment about maxed on the saddles, otherwise all of the notes are dead from about the 8th or 10th fret on up. They clang and buzz on the neck with no pronounced note.

Since this is the first vintage style I've owned....I wonder if that's typical??

2. Has ANYONE come across this before??

3. I have never had any trouble with the old style bridge on my Sting bass (no one has ever noticed or commented on the "stinglay" after 12 years); it takes a little time to adjust, but once set it should be fine. I would look to the neck for the solution.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have actually heard of the stinglay complaint a bunch, probably the most common statement I hear about the bass really.

If the bridge worked perfectly fine before you changed the neck, obviously the neck isn't installed correct.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    How does it set up with the original saddles?

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If your saddles are maxed out in height, then you're discovering you simply can't throw on any old neck on and go. The new neck is either too tall or has a bit of downward angle to it.
    You should have measured the height thickness of the neck to the old one, and also measure the overall height of it bolted on to body because the neck pocket of the Sting could be shallower than the Squier. If its too tall it would have to be trimmed to lower it in the pocket more. Or if the depth is fine but it has too much downward (or tilt-back) angle, then you could try a thin shim placed by the two upper neck screws to get the neck to tilt forward.

I see no need for grooves saddles either. With a heavy handed attack I've never had the strings move on me.