Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

vintage buyers how much would ya pay for this 76 jazz???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Oct 3, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    this r the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the seller has the original parts but he says tha it didnt came with the bridge p-up cover.

2. My crystal ball sez: many of the replies you get will tell you to stay away from the 3-bolt neck. Personally I have a beautifully-mojoed '78 (w/ 3-bolt) and it's a great bass, just a bit less-desirable. Are you able to play it before you spend your $$$? I've played some of this era with necks that I've hated.

The bridge is certainly non-original. If it wasn't for the missing laquer around where the original bridge was I would worry about a refin body, but as I'm no expert I will leave this for others to comment on.

My rough guess on the price would be ~$1000.USD given what I've seen lately. Not a bargain unless you've played the instrument and love it!

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    thats a bad ass bridge with fender saddles, it comes with the original fender vintage (crap?) bridge, the seller is asking for 1550€ like $1800 (usd).

4. The price seems a bit high to me based on what I've seen locally, but geographic location is bound to inflate it. Have you had a chance to play it yet? As mentioned, you might not like the neck and you need to be prepared for the hum from those single coils. Still, the potential is there for it to sound great.

That much scratch ($$$) would make a nice downpayment on a Jerzy or buy that Valenti you've been lusting after!

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I read somewhere Fender ceased using the large "JAZZ BASS" logo on the headstock in 76. The serial is in the 600,000's so it does indicate it's from 76, wierd. Looks like it put together in 76 with a 75 neck? The bridge is a GOTOH 201 with the original Gotoh saddles, not a Badass with Fender saddles. Tough call with the price, I'll leave that to some vintage Jazz buff. Don't let the 3 bolt neck worry you. Oh wow I just read the price you posted.... 1800!?!?! NO WAY!

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Youre right with a few more bucks i would be able to buy a jerzy drozd exellency.

7. ...and probably be much happier in the long run!

8. Is that a (glued) crack in the wood at the bullet of the truss rod?? I've seen quite some 3 bolt Fender Jazz basses that have that exact problem. At 1500 euro's, I wouldn't buy it.

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

neck wrapage?????

10. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    frankenstein anyone?...

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats a Gotoh 201 bridge, not a badass.

12. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I'll bet this bass would sound almost as good, and at a fraction of the cost....

Warmoth jazz

13. Don't even consider buying this bass, unless you want to get a new neck, and $1500 is just wishfull thinking on the seller's part. That crack at the bullet looks like it continues to the fingerboard. I had a bass with this problem and a repair of this kind is a warning sign that reads DO NOT BUY ME. You'll never be able to adjust the truss rod without risking popping the fingerboard open, then you'll have all kinds of problems.

Take it from me, don't buy this bass. :scowl: :scowl: :scowl:

14. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Does the logo look photoshoped to anybody else?

The "Fender" part is a little fuzzy on the edges while the "Jazz Bass" part is very sharp and defined on the edges.

15. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    [​IMG]

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    There is a ring of gold type around the black portion of the Fender logo and the way that it blends with the maple headstock is probably responsible for what you're seeing.