Vintage Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 13, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I really dig that vintage 60's-70's tone but what gets me is there all like 2x15 and 1x18 (Jack Bruce, Jaco). I really don't like 15's the balance seems to be off not enough highs for the lows you get, don't even get me started on 18's. I know Jaco used a folded acoustic cab and he projected really well nice highs same with John Paul Jones. Did these cabs have tweeters or horns in them? Is it something to do with the P.A's they used?

I have a friend who builds cabs (For P.A's) but at the moment he's got 4 folded 18 cabs and he built each for no more than $200 is it worth getting one of these for that old skool speaker sound he also has a 2x15 with horn which he built for like $250, or do I get like a 4x10 which moves more air but is tighter sounding.

Would Jaco still be playing through a acoustic 360 with 361 cab if he were alive today?
  2. Horns suck. I mean, come on, we're playing bass. :D

Seriously, the old sound was done without horns. They didn't even use 10's back then. Get yourself a good 15" speaker, and you won't need no stinking horn. Try an Altec Lansing 421A.

Truth is, what sounds dead or low when you're playing by yourself, is what sounds good in a band setting.

3. Back in the 70s I used Cerwin Vega 18s in folded horn cabinets with a SVT head and a Ric 4003.I liked the sound of Chris Squire from Yes and John Entwistle from the Who,that Rotosound twang.I had to boost the heck out of my mids and treble to get a decent sound that cut through.
    Todays cabinets with tens and twelves in them work much better for getting a full range sound.Entwistle used Sunn folded horns similar to his Ashdown cabs he has now but with Sunn 412 cabs for the mids-highs in the 70s.Chris Squire used Marshalls and some Sunn with 412 cabs.Lots of guys used Acoustic amps with 18s,like Jaco and John Paul Jones,The only amp I would use from back in that time period would be a SVT with an 8-10 cab.Most of the other ones from back then just can't compare tonewise with the newer stuff.
    An exeption would be Jack Casadys and Phil Leshes Alembic-JBL-Macintosh rigs with D 140 JBL 15s(lots of them)with Alembic preamps and huge Macintosh tube power amps.Even they don't use that stuff anymore.Check out what the old timers use now and you'll see they use the newer stuff cause it just sounds better.
  4. I have an old acoustic 361 head on an old ass Kustom 2x15 cab with two horn tweeters. It sounds awesome I like it a lot. Some old bass player who played bass in the UM jazz band and toured with it and had it for years put away gave it to me. Completley for free. It works perfectly and sounds great over my new conklin GT (I'm workin a better bass guys, but I still quite a few more dollars).