1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

vintage chrome neck pickup cover dilemma

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DLM, Sep 15, 2010.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Hi,

I'd like to install a vintage chrome neck pickup cover on my jazz bass without pickguard. The problem is that the E string buzzes against the inside of the cover because of the lower clearance from not having a pickguard.

I was thinking I could put a couple washers under the screw holes but then there would be gaps since the cover attachment points would not be in direct contact with the body.

I cannot lower the action to gain more string clearance. Do I have any options that would make this a clean install?

Thanks!

2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Sometimes you can put a slight bend in the hoop to clear a string and it is not noticable.

3. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I say bend some metal. If youre careful about it, it should turn out nicely.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Good luck bending plated metals.

Are you able to buy a bigger cover?

5. Check out the p cover. I believe it is a little bigger.

H

6. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Thanks for all your responses. I didn't want a P pickup cover 'cause those are huge.

I actually was able to bend the curve a little more and it proved large enough to clear all the strings, so I'm in business! The cover is a lot more malleable than I had anticipated.

7. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio

BOOM BABY. ;)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021