Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Coliseum SUNN amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ripper75, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    Anyone know if these sound good?

2. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Yes these sound great. Very transparent. Lotsa balls.

3. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    thanks. can i combine that with my svt II? i'm trying to get a brighter sound to cut thru some loud guitars.

4. braun-jovi

braun-jovi

Mar 25, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    I'm not sure how you're trying to combine the two, but I wouldn't call mine bright or transparent. I love it, but mine is dark sounding and has a lot of character, or color if you prefer.

5. Probobly not your best option for a brighter sound.

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Definately an earth splitting tone, it's not the brightest but it sounds nice, way nice.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Find a copy of Beck, Bogert and Appice (either the studio release or the Live version). Listen to it...

That's the sound of a P Bass through a raging Sunn Coliseum Bass amp through (Altec loaded) sealed 4x15 cabinets.

Listen to Yes Fragile...that's the sound of a Ric 4001 through a raging Sunn Coliseum Lead amp through 6x12 Sunn guitar speakers (use this example next time someone tells you that you can't play bass through a guitar amp).

Never owned a Sunn Coliseum Bass (or Lead) amp myself. But those two examples are recordings that show what the amps can do (in the hands of masters...).

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Looked at your profile...the SVT II with an 8x10 should serve you well. How old are your strings? Have you re-evaluated your tone settings? Play with a pick vs. fingers, etc.

9. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Just make sure it's not one of those SS Coliseum 300 bass amps from the 80's. I had one for years and it was a workhorse, just nothing like the old ones with the red knobs.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The amps with red-tipped knobs:eek: were built after the original coliseum bass and lead (and 880) amps.

11. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    is that pic the one that rocks? i dont see red knobs

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The picture that I posted is of an amp built before Sunn went to red tipped knobs. Yes, those are the good ones AFAIK! What I understood from KPO2000's post is that red tipped knob amps are good too...he didn't like the "Coliseum 300" amp that came after them. The Coliseum 300 looks quite different. I'll see if I have any pictures of those...

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Just returned from a little side trip to eBay...

Here are pictures of the Coliseum 880 and red-tip knob Concert bass amp.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Here's a picture of the later Coliseum 300 that KPO2000 mentioned.

15. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I actually really like my Coliseum 300 I can dial in some pretty killer tones on it that I can't with my 300T

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I really want an 880.

17. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    My mistake about the knobs on the older ones.
    Don't get me wrong about the Colliseum 300. Great reliable amp. I never even had to change a fuse in it over 10 years. I just never thought the tone pretty was that great--sort of plain. I had a matching 215 SPL Sunn Cabinet with it. It was state of the art at the time--I had it from from around '84 to '95, but there are so many better options now. Maybe it was the basses I had at the time.

18. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I just like it because it's pretty much transparent and my basses all sound different plus it sounds killer with my Big Muff

19. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    If it has red knobs it is a "Hartzell" amp. These were manufactured after the sellout. Just remember, silver tipped knobs is Sunn, red tipped knobs is Hartzell.

20. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Hartzell Sunn amps weren't bad though. I don't think the circuit was changed at all, was it?