1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Conrad Hollowbody Repair

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chuckbass, Oct 25, 2013.

1. chuckbass

chuckbass

May 4, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I recently purchased a '68 Conrad for a steal. It's in really good shape and plays well however the person who owned it before me took the finger anchor and glued it to the body as a thumbrest. I really would like to remove this and put it back where it belongs. It appears to have been glued with an epoxy. Anyone have any suggestions how to remove it?

IMAG0217_zps719f604d.

IMAG0218_zpsd18b553f.

2. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Epoxy! Removing it will be difficult and the scar will be very visible no doubt.
    Did you consider to shave the thumb rest down instead (if what you don't like is it getting in the way?)

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If it was epoxied, you won't be able to remove it without damaging the finish - or worse and more likely - the wood underneath it. Leave it where it is. Trying to remove it will only make it worse.

4. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    What those guys said. Mask around it and carefully file/sand to get it out of the way and less obtrusive. Who knows - it may pop off as you do so.

5. chuckbass

chuckbass

May 4, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    That's what I figured but just wanted to see if anyone had some ideas. It's a shame someone did this because otherwise it's near mint and has a really great vibe.

6. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Take a small block of wood. Hold it up against the rest . Use the handle of a hammer to tap it with a little force. Go with the grain of the wood to avoid tear out. If it doesn't move by the second tap Learn to live with it.