Vintage effects and their modern counterparts

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NickyBass, Jun 23, 2008.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Hey guys. I'm trying to find some 'vintage inspired' effects that still deliver some of the imperfections of the older effects. It seems like alot of pedals are alot cleaner these days. I guess that is what people are looking for, but I'd like to find some newer pedals with some vintage nasty in them.

For example, what would be the modern equivalent of a Mutron III? How about an Ibanez TS808 or an MXR Phase 90? Univibe, Tycobrahe PedalFlanger, Fuzz Face, Octavia, Tone Bender, Bi-Phase, Bassmaster, Flying Pan, etc.

I'm hip to all the EHX stuff and a few of the bigger names like Maxon and Analogman, but I'm thinking that there are some smaller companies, somewhere, that are making some cool 'vintage' stuff-quirks and all.

2. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Mutron III - EHX Q-Tron, Maxon AF-9
    Ibanex TS808 - MJM Blues Devil
    MXR Phase 90 - Retrosonic Phaser
    Univibe - Sweet Sound Ultra Vibe
    Fuzz Face - Analog.man Sun Face, MJM London Fuzz, Hartman Vintage Fuzz
    Tone Bender - DAM MKII
    Brassmaster - Malekko Assmaster
    Octavia - MJM Roctavios

3. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    WOW!! Thanks for the info. I have alot of shopping...err....research to do. I had no idea where to look. I knew TB would come through.

4. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    Talking about mojo =D thats the spirit

5. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    bump for more options for this guy

6. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I came across this pedal:

[​IMG]

It's a Sola Sound Tone Bender mkII clone made by Phoenix Custom Electonics. Seems promising.

I can't seem to locate a D*A*M MKII for sale anywhere.

MKIIDAKA1.jpg

The Little Red Rocket has an added bias pot.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The Prescription Electronics Depth Charge is also based on the Brassmaster circuit.

Although not all of them work great on bass, Fulltone has a variety of vintage pedal clones. They might be worth checking out for you.

8. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    ive seen just about "equivilants" of all of these pedals. most people would agree a mutron III and q-tron are real similar. as for something like a TS808, theres tons of exact copies out there. visual sound jekyll and hyde, bingo.

another oldschool classic is a roland jet phase, and my red witch moon phaser hits that spot really nicely..

9. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    If you want to know a few more Tone Bender Mark II clones - Throbak Stone Bender, MJM Britbender, BYOC Tonebender, Sweet Sound Pro Bender.

10. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    You could fall backwards into a pile of TS808 clones.

11. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    O.k., Please don't stop reading as soon as you see Line 6. I have been on a search for a cool flanger, auditioning all sorts of vintage and new stuff. I scored with a used Tonecore Liquaflange. I won't go into details of the features, suffice to say it has some very nostalgic flanges inside. No midi, no presets, just a few knobs and oodles of cool s**t.

BTW, if you find a modern (translate cheap) equivalent of a Tycobrahe Pedalflanger, please share that info. I've got some recordings made with friends in the late 70's, and the pedalflanger still blows my mind.

Oh yeah, you might want to peruse the Robert Keeley Electronics website. Have fun!, James

12. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Also worth noting that this is true of Prescription Electronics as well. I find that with the tone knob all the way down, the PE Yardbox is a killer bass distortion. Based on the Sola Tone Bender, I think.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Reuben....man, I have to admit that I've not heard your name before...but after going to your website and seeing who you've played with and listened to some sound clips, I'll never forget your name. I'm very impressed. Glad to have found you out there.

Sorry for the sidetrack Nicky.

14. Yet there is so little discussion on which of these are good for bass use around these parts, and my searches have yielded little.

15. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley

Well search no more my friend cause i'm here to tell you that the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive has the same overdrive circut and the same tone as a vintage TS808. It even includes the original JRC4558 opamp, but they upgraded components using metal resistors and polyster film capacitors. Creates tighter midrange, crsper high and much better note definition than the original or the re-issue. Add the clean signal boost on the pedal and you can restore the attack and feel usually lost in the highly compressed overdrive circut, its like layering two amps one clean and one saturated. It's so impressive that Digitech has created a simulation of it for their BP series of multi effects processors. I can't say enough about this product, add in the fact thats its true bypass, made in the USA, aluminum housing and 5 year warranty i can't of many better ways to spend $130.00 it doesn't do extreme dirt but it sounds fantastic on bass...not to mention close to 20 decibels of clean boost and it's really two pedals in one. BUY IT!!!!!!

I'm not on their payroll....lol

but seriously I tried roughly 30 pedals befores settling on this one....there is a thread an a review somewhere on this forum however of all the pedal I liked the best they were all modified TS808 clones in one form or another.

I'm fairly sure the BBE Green Screamer is also based on the TS808 and sounded very good as well with bass if you add the Boosta Grande pedal with the Green screamer you get the Sparkle Drive.