1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shaggy45, Sep 20, 2010.

1. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    I recently picked up a roland ap-7 and a mutron III and i love them. It's really got me interested in picking up other vintage effects. Other than the Mutron Octave Divider, what other vintage pedals are regarded as being good/works with bass?

2. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    After spending big bucks on multi-effect units, I am back to a vintage Rat and Ibanez CS9 chorus.
    I am not sure how others regard these, but I'm happy!

3. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    It's all about the Bi-Phase.

4. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    Looks awesome..any clips on bass anywhere?

5. fatherjohncough

fatherjohncough Inactive

Jul 5, 2010
    New York, NY
    The old green and civil war Russian big muffs are a given, there are better things out there today though still derivatives.
    Only other thing that comes to mind is the Maestro Brassmaster - very cool very unique quasi-octave fuzz

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    one's i've owned and loved

fuzz faces, big muff, dod 250 OD, ehx pedals (all of the vintage ones are really cool and usually different circuits than the reissues), boss oc-2

7. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I love my Multivox Big Jam Spit Wah. Not quite as gritty or aggressive as a vintage Mu-Tron III, IMO, but plenty of old-school vibe and mojo, and oh so smooth!

8. I'm using a 1983 Ibanez AD-9 and a 1980s MXR Micro Flanger :bassist:.

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Probably more for gui****s. It's the same circuit used in the Roland JC-120

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I lust after the vintage SMM on one of my gui****'s boards.

IMG_6691.jpg

(Please not that with my help,...his board has gotten a lot cleaner.)

10. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Memphis Bi-Octave...

but good luck finding one.

11. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Maestro Brassmaster :bassist:

12. You're making me crazy with that one, pleez stop, pretty pleez

13. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR

haha. Sorry.
    I seriously lucked out finding one. You can always get a MXR Blue Box in the meantime, but honestly, they really don't sound the same.
    Close, but... :ninja:

FWIW, I'm real good friends with a pedal builder (that shall remain nameless for now) and he/they just finished a two down octave that he's REALLY excited about. He's gonna bring it over and we're gonna A/B them.
    I wanna say more, but I probably shouldn't steal his thunder by announcing it.

my point - he's still designing it, and you may be able to buy something comparable (aside from the Blue Box) to the Bi-Octave in the near future. ;)

Oh, and I have another pro pedal builder friend that literally BEGGED me to let him clone my Bi-Octave so he could sell it.
    I'm on the fence. :bag:

14. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    The Tel-Ray Morley Power Wah Boost is a bass-friendly vintage effect. At least, that's what Cliff Burton thought.

15. FuzzAddict

FuzzAddict

Oct 30, 2009
    Don't forget about the Power Wah Fuzz, it works just as well on bass.

16. Jason!

Jason!

Nov 14, 2008
    GR, MI
    I've been thinking about picking one of those up.

17. I've got a Morley Deluxe Phaser (die-cast, not a wah enclosure) that is a very lush 6-stage optical phaser. It really is fantastic, and gets almost more of a throb than a swoosh when used on bass.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021