Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

vintage Fender Bassman 100 loud enough....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Oct 19, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was looking at getting an old Fender Bassman 100 with an old Fender BM 2x15 cab. Will this be loud enough for todays gigs? A couple of months ago I heard a gentleman play through one with a 2x12, and a Hofner. It had the best old school sound I've heard to this day....Well live anyway:)

2. That kind of puzzles me. You've got a 400 watt tube head, but you run it on a 2x10 cab. To get sound, you have to move air; can't get around it. Sound is MOVING air, and you can only put so much power into ANY given speaker cab before it blows either from burning up the voice coils or overexcursion. Why not take that 400 watts and spread it out over four or eight 10's or even the 2x15 you're asking about. I think you're trying to get a bunch of clean headroom and a huge bass sound out of a rig that can't do it. Yes, your 400 watt tube Trace can do clean (and overdrive) VERY well, but to be clean AND loud you have to have more than just a single 2x10 cab.

To answer the question, it's a qualified yes, with the qualification being you understand that a 100 watt tube bass sound will be pretty grungy unless you have super efficient cabinets. How loud was the Hofner through the 2x12? What kind of music was it? How hard did the drummer hit? How loud was the band overall? Those are the questions you will have to apply to your own situation in order to answer the one you've posted here.

3. Hi,
    I'm using a 1973 fender bassman head ( 100 watt ) with an eden 4x10 xlt.
    Its loud enough in the context of a three to four piece blues funk outfit, and faired pretty well recently at a jam night against some very good but insanely loud guitarists.

cheers

Stew.

4. bandkindbass

bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    I'm using a Bassman 100w head from 1971 and a Peavey 2x15 cab. Great vintage sound!

Gives me enough power, but i have the master volume and input gain at almost the top. Gives a great overdriven tube-sound when I play hard or with a pick. When i need a clean tone i use less force with my right hand. The 135w would be the solution i guess.

My band plays quite hard and loud. 100 watts are enough if you got a effective cab, and specially the double 15''s. You move a lot of air.

tore

5. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I don't have a Bassman 100, but I had a Blackface Bassman(sold it back in January to pay rent) that I used through my Crate BX810e cab for a couple gigs and was loud enough to be heard. I now have an Ampeg SVT-100 that would probably be similar volume wise to the Bassman 100. It's loud enough to do an outdoor gig with the 8X10 with very little PA reinforcement. Although I'm in a modern rock band(along the lines of Collective Soul, U2, Nickelback according to a review of our CD). Doubt it'd be loud enough for outdoor metal shows, but probably for indoor. Just crank the mids.

6. Agreed.
    Bassmans have a certain sound ( Mojo? ) that I find I can't emulate with any other amp.
    It's a sound you either love or hate, and I love it.
    You'd want to love it too if you buy one 'cause they have practically zero in the way of tone shaping. They use passive equalisation. ( Cut only ) Virtually all you can do is cut the treble to get rid of any sharpness. Cutting the bass doesn't make much difference to the sound at all. They don't like active basses with a hot output either, as this drives the pre-amp into distortion at comparitively low volumes. With something like a passive Precision bass though, you'll be dripping baby! :D

Note: I think some of the post 70's bassmans have a mids control and a master volume. These models might have a bit better control over the tone you get. I use a Guyatone Flip bass compressor ( valve ) in front of mine as it gives me much more control over my sound than I can get from the amp itself. ;)