1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Fender Bassman 100 Sliverface Head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigoo7e, Apr 3, 2006.

1. I have the chance to get one of these from a buddy of mine that works on amps. He is going to be moving up north in late may and doesn't want to take it with him because he doesn't need it. He basically told me that he would go home and test it, if the power transformer wasn't bad, he said it wouldn't be too much to fix it.

Long story short... I can get it for whatever it cost to get it running again... which shouldn't be that much. He he has tubes he can put in it for me to get it going for now and then when I get some money saved up start out with the poweramp tubes and go from there. If I could get this amp for around or less than $200 would it be worth my while?

I have a Fender Jazz Bass and I love old school tube tone... I really haven't heard much Bassman tone and if I have then I didn't know it was a Bassman at all. Anyone know of any old school albums that has bassist playing through some Bassman heads to kind of get an idea what they sound like?

I think it would be a good investment. I play at home, I'm not in a band and I don't go on gig's "yet". Just something to fool around with. I live in a trailer and will be hooking them up to rear ported Avatar 2x10 w/ horn and 1x15 8ohm cabs dasiychained.

Any comments, ideas, and or suggestions?

As soon as my amp guy gets me a serial number and some pic's I will try to post them!

Peace,

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    $200 is a steal for that amp.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1.
    Local GC had one used for $400 I think.

4. What would be good market value for one of these amps in good working/cosmetic condition?

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    to hear some bassman tone check out some of the samples my band has done... I used a my '59 pbass, and my Bassman 135 on all the songs.... www.myspace.com/fabrudies

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Anywhere from $350-500.

7. :eek: Sweet... pure tone, no effects? Did you have cabs miked or did you run in direct into the board? If you did have your cabs miked what kind where you using?

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    we did both...the cab i was using at the time was a bassman 70 2x15, and yes no effects:D

9. WOW... Well then, gives me something to look forward to, was your p-bass dead stock and what kind of strings where you using?

Anyone else have any other comments or anything else to add?

Thanks for the feedback so far,

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    it had/has an Aero type1 pbass p/up which is wound exactly like the OEM '59 Pbass p/ups were, and for strings I use TI flatwound strings

11. Well its a fat sound, I like it.. I will be using my Jazz Bass with DR Nickel Lowriders and those Avatar cabs I mentioned before. Does this head give a good slap tone by any chance? Anyone... anyone? :eyebrow: I know a p-bass with flats on it will not give you the slap tone I am thinking about so anyone else use or used this head and got a good slap tone out of it? And what about other styles and types of tones can you get out of it as well... :ninja:

12. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have owned several of these (135 and 100 models)over the past 30 years, used with a variety of cabs. In fact, a Bassman 100 was my first decent amp in the seventies.I always ended up moving on from them as I found they seemed to lack the headroom I required for the style of music I was playing (touring with loud blues/rock bands) - that is, they simply were not loud enough. On the plus side, I have always considered the tone available at lower volumes to be a wonderful, classic tube sound that sits easily in a mix and is great to practise with - on the negative, they just don't stay clean enough for me when cranked(this may be a plus for some).Since using a Mesa 400+ I find I can access that tone quite easily with much more volume - not surprising sinc ethe Mesa's tone controls are supposedly modelled on the Fender's.

13. Giraffe

Giraffe Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, California
    These heads have a great old school tone for fingerstyle players, but they are not fast enough for quick slapping at any kind of volume. "Tube sag" is really apparent when you thump on the lower notes. If you are just learning to slap, or if you are practising at low volumes you may not notice it as much, but the power supplies don't recover fast enough to get the kind of quick response a serious slapper needs.

They can get pretty loud when they are set up and running right. They will require some maintenance beyond the tubes (primarily the tone caps), but if you can buy it right, it is a pretty useful amp for some purposes.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You just answered your own question.

My 50 watt blackface is the best sounding amp I've ever heard.

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That's high for a Bassman 100 today. Maybe in a few years. These guys pull about $300 on Ebay pretty regularly.

A 100 and a 1x15 will be a nce sounding rig. If I had the opportunity to score one for $200 even one in need of recap & re-tube, I'd be on it.

16. Thanks for the comments guys... anyone else want to add anything?

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'll add something. The silverface setting on my Line 6 Bass PODxt is one of my favourite sounding amp "models". And there are many, many highend amps modelled.

18. Cool, I was going to look at one of those Pod XT Lives and some sort of poweramp... But here lately, with playing hybrid and all tube amps I would rather like the real thing IMO. I heard they are the shiz-nit, but I think I would rather spend my money on a 30+ year old Tube amp than one of those!

E-mailing my amp man now on the status of the amp too see how much I will have to sink into it to get it up and running. Fingers crossed for a good power transformer! ;)

Take it easy,

19. Here (in Europe) I have paid for that amp $680 , before the reconstruction = new power tubes, new conds, addded transformer for european 230V voltage...Now everybody likes my sound.

20. During time - for 40 years like a partime musician I was looking for the best bass sound and came to this chain:
    Fender Jazz Bass (1968) with Fënder "Original Jazz Bass" single coil pickups,flatwound strings,BOSS Equalizer, FENDER BASSMAN 100 "SILVERFACE", Ampeg PB210H, 400W/4Ohms cab.