1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Fender Bassman Cabinet Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Salvador Ruelas, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Salvador Ruelas

Salvador Ruelas

May 3, 2018
    Midwest
    Hey,guys. Just picked up 2 of these vintage Fender 2x15 unloaded Cabs yesterday for $75.00 apiece. Sold to me as Bassman cabs,but may or may not be. My question is,were Bassman or any other 2x15 cabs from the 60's or so, equipped with horns? Both baffle boards have spaces for horns,and appear to be factory since the speaker holes are offset from the middle. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attached Files:

JMV likes this.
  2. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    The only 2 x 15" Fender cab from the '60s was the Dual Showman cab. '60s Bassman cabs were 2 x 12"s. No horns in any '60s Fender cabs, but they did have ported baffles with their closed-back design.

3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

HF tweeters/horns in mass produced bass cabs didn’t happen until the 80’s, although some individuals started experimenting with that, and bi-amping, in the late 70’s.

Ric5 and Salvador Ruelas like this.
  4. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Sure they are not ports?

Salvador Ruelas and MattZilla like this.
  5. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    I don't think that's Fender.

AGCurry likes this.
  6. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    I agree that is not a Fender cabinet. Also I think it is a port. Here’s a 69 am peg B25.

Attached Files:

Salvador Ruelas and MattZilla like this.
  7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I am familiar with the 212 bassman, the 115 showman, and the 215 Dual Showman, as I played though or owned each one. There were 215 Bassman cabinets around 1970-72 or later, though I never owned one. I heard a 215 bassman in the mid '70's, and thought it was a pretty much a fart machine.

I think these are possibly the very same late bassman cabinets. Pretty sure they are NOT tall enough (longest dimension) for Dual Showman. Also, the grill cloth is from the silver face era, but I see no typical logos or tilt back legs/hardware for securing the amp head that one would expect on early 212 bassman or Dual showman cabinets. Perhaps more/better photos will help? Often the tilt back legs were removed from the bassman, leaving screw holes and recessed bolt holes.

I recall the 215 bassman did have Fender logos and hardware for securing the amp head, but would not be shocked if I am wrong on the latter.

Also, Dual Showman cabs had two handles per side (n.b. these have only one per side in photo). Each handle was mounted perpendicular to the one pictured at each end of the cabinet, facilitating two-man carries, IME. The handles, feet, and corner hardware are definitely the same as Fender bassman and dual showman cabinets from the 60's and 70's. BTW, those are "vents," not real tuned ducted-ports or openings for horns.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  8. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    just look like ports to me - no hardware or screwholes to indicate that horns were mounted in the rectangular spaces.

9. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Ports. Probably would sound excellent with D140 speakers and more than good enough with Beta 15a being pushed by a Bassman head and something with at least one P-90 pickup.

Using them for bass would be fine/perfect if you're in a quiet indie band.

Pretty sweet that you scored a matching pair.

[edit] Stack them high, throw a head on top, take a pic and post it in the tuba watts vs sousaphone watt thread!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Salvador Ruelas likes this.
  10. Salvador Ruelas

Salvador Ruelas

May 3, 2018
    Midwest
    Thanks guys. Ports was something else I was thinking as well. If they're not Fender cabs,any idea what they may be? The grill cloth is absent of fade where the logos would have been,but not sure what else they would be. Homemade perhaps? I do have 4 old D140's that I'm gonna load into them. Should sound pretty good.

MattZilla likes this.
  11. Salvador Ruelas

Salvador Ruelas

May 3, 2018
    Midwest
    You think this may be an Ampeg?

12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I think he was just showing the port shape common to cabs of the era. I had a Sunn cab with a similar cutout.

At this point maybe edit the thread title to "mystery cab ID help"?

13. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO

I'm from the era (born in 1955) - they sure look like Fender cabs to me, going by grill material, tolex and corners. Others know the models better than I do. I had a non-name cab with 2 JBL D140s back then and it sounded great.

14. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I think those openings are vents.

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I have seen old fender cabs with 1 port but not 2 … I suspect they changed a few times from 65 to 75. I had a 2x12 and a 2x15 … They were not a great design. They rattled a lot and did not have great frequency response. But for the time they got the job done.

In the pic below I had 2 Fender cabs and a cab like the Fender … the Sunn amp on the right was awesome … the VOX amp was worthless … and that is a 60s 4001.

old-stuff.

16. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012

I think that they are indeed Fender cabs, but from the mid '70s, not the '60s.

17. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I had a Dual Showman with a pair of SROs in it, I had an Acoustic 100 watt head. I loved the rig, but I wouldn't give you $50 for it today. Actually, I would, I could use a pair if those SROs

18. This isn't accurate. The silverface-era Bassman began it's life with 2-12's, just like the Bandmaster, but Fender changed over to 2-15's pretty quickly when that proved to be a dismal cab. I had a late '68 Bassman cab with 2-15's. I don't remember it having ports, but that's a possibility. And there was an interior partition to subdivide the cab into two chambers...the back had a row of screws in the middle that sunk into the partition. Bassman cabs also had three handles on the long side...one in the middle, like the one in the OP, and two transverse handles toward the ends. On the 'top' end, there would be two 1/4-20 threaded inserts to accept two mounting studs to hold the head down. There were not any recesses for the head's feet to sit in, as this box appears to have. So my verdict is that it's not a Bassman cab at all. Sometime in the very early '70's, they moved away from the 2-15 format for Bassman cabs to other approaches...and in doing so, went from bad to worse.

Further evidence of non-Fender lineage: Fender cabs from this era had 8 mounting studs for each speaker, not 4, as seen in the picture.

19. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    If you look closer at the picture, it looks like there are 8 holes per speaker, but only 4 have hardware in them. I think.

20. It kind of looks to me like someone has replaced the baffleboard and grill cloth at some point in its life. Perhaps this was a 2x12 and someone cut a 2x15 baffleboard for it... but it's been so long since I worked on those old cabs I don't remember if the 2x12 had enough room. The 2x12 bassman certainly looks like the OP's pictures with the single handle in the middle.
    2x12_bassman.
    2x12_Bassman_Front.