VINTAGE Fender Bassman pic's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Bassmaniac, Nov 5, 2003.

1. I read in a copy of Bass Guitar magazine that Gail Ann-Dorsey ( Bowie's bassist ) uses a 50 watt Fender Bassman at home for recording and absolutely loves it. That makes me feel better as I thought that I was one of only a few that like their sound. Anyone else out there use them?.. how about a pic and a few comments?
    Here's a pic of my 1971 Bassman Export with the 2x12 sealed cab that I made to go with it. Sounds awesome IMO.
  2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Nice old school look to that rig. I bet it sounds a lot like the old Traynor tube amps.

Is that a Godin SD4? or an SD Pro? I'm quite happy with my Godin BG-V. I had a Freeway 4 that I traded for a Fender American Precision. I like the Precision a lot, but I miss the Godin.
  3. It's a Godin SD Pro with the Seymour Duncan Basslines active pre-amp and pick-ups. Lucky for me, it's output isn't overly hot and it sounds fantastic through the bassman. I find I can't use my Stingray five with this amp though, as it's super hot output fries the pre-amp into too much distortion. Kills the tone. I've got a passive Yamaha Attitude 5 with a precision and jazz bass type pick-up's in it , and that sounds really good. Handles it's low B really well too, which surprised me. Haven't heard a Traynor, they would be pretty rare in Australia I guess.
  4. I bought a Fender Bassman 10 combo back in 1972 with the 4x10 cab, still have her too and I still say it has one of the warmest tones out there, with my jbass. Funny I was just tellin' the boys in the band last night the next time were in the studio I'll bring in that amp and have a lets see with her.
  5. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    My first amp was a 64 Bassman. I bought it new for about $175. I also bought my Jazz bass for $130 used the same day. Big bucks at the time and it took me a year to pay back my mom. I've always liked the sound of the Bassman but I really, really, really like my old Dual Showman even better. The extra 35 watts, the mid control in the preamp and the 4 6L6's make a big difference in tone and volume. Both the Bassman and the Showman make great practice amps and recording amps. The Showman paired with an efficient cab can be used for a small gig. IMO the tone of these old tubers just can't be beat.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'd post a pic of one of my guitar rigs, but it looks exactly like yours, Bassmaniac! An early '70 Bassman 50. I had the 2x15 cab that went with it, but it was empty, so I robbed the grill cloth and hardware, and got rid of the cab. Now I'm thinking of trying to get it back!
    I'll search for pics of my dad's on Bassman later. A '59 in absolutely wonderful condition. One of the only amps he regrets selling.
  7. This is my 1961 Fender bassman, my husband loves to play guitar through it!

8. That set up looks absolutely pristine Treena! You must really look after your gear.
    What's it sound like with one of your Fender basses? The older bassmen like yours had 6V6 output valves rather than 6L6's if I remember right.
  9. I upgraded from my old Bassman (like Treena's) to a Showman way back when. This is one sweet studio rig with the JBL D-140Fs.

10. Nice rig Oddio.
    What year Showman is that? Do you find a big improvement with it over the sound of the Bassman you used to have, or does it simply have more power and tone-shaping due to extra output valves and a mid control? Also, how heavy is it?
  11. Yes, you are correct about the 6V6.

I really enjoy recording this old amp, blues sound great through it!

Clean and thumpy is the best way I can describe the tone!

This is me with my 1974 Fender Bassman- 70 with 2' 15's.

I'm a Fender Freak from way back!

12. Are you postive about 6V6's? Bassman's have always used 6L6's. The early ones had 5881's and the later CBS models used 6L6GC's.
  13. This is a '64 Showman with a '65 cab. The main advantage I found over the old Bassman was extra power. The cabinet is also very efficient which accounts for some of the large volume increase. Mid cut control is nice as the JBLs are more mid-rangey. And of course there's the psychedelic vibrato!

In terms of weight the head is not too much heavier than the Bassman, and the cabinet is quite light by today's standards.
  14. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA

Bassman amps never had 6V6s. Check out the Fender Amp Field Guide for the best info on vintage Fender amps.
  15. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA

What's that unit between the amp head and the speaker cab?
  16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, I know of no Bassman (vintage or otherwise) with 6V6's. They've always used 6L6's to my knowledge.

Here's a pic of my '65 Bassman (it's the one on top). I don't use it for bass though, I only use it for guitar. IMHO it's pretty useless as a bass amp, even in the studio. (not like my old Portaflex, which records like a dream)

Also, note the extra knob on the left side where the "2" jack is supposed to be. I've modded just about every Fender amp I've ever owned. Seems that some of them need to be tweaked to bring out the best in them.

The good news is, vintage Bassmen have excellent fundamentals. They're solid and reliable, and they have great iron (transformers).

The cab has a pair of Weber California's in it.
  17. You are right. It seems that all of the early Tweed series Fender amps used 6v6 output valves EXCEPT the bassman, which used the valves you quoted. :meh:
  18. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA

The Tweed Bandmaster, Pro, Super and Twin all used 6L6 tubes.
  19. Ok, Ok, how about, "nearly all the low powered early Fender Tweed amps used 6V6's." The higher powered ones used 6L6's. Is that correct?
    I thought of posting a link to that valve list, but it would be tedious reading to non valve geeks, so I tried to give a generalisation. This thread is supposed to be about Vintage Bassman amps and users who like their sound anyway. Anyone? very early Champ :bassist: :bassist:
  20. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA