1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Fender Jazz Bass F.A.Q.s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by passionbass, Nov 15, 2010.

1. passionbass

passionbass

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi guys, Im new to vintage guitars.
    While im finding a pure passive bass sound, I tried several jazz basses from original to clones. Couldn't get anything i meant.

Until i found a 73 Fender Jazz Bass and got totally stick to it very much.
    No idea if I can find that kind of tone on any modern basses.
    BTW it's in a player's condition as its re-finished, re-fretted and changed fender original pickguard.

with original 70's case. priced about us$2.5k(Im in Malaysia).

So the questions is:
    1) Is it okay if I use this monster as my main axe from gigs, recordings, practices and all other stuff?
    2) Will these vintage basses like going to die one day after a good service of few years?!? (I do heard Myth like this)
    3) As I heard vintage stuff are meant to be keep in the glass or cases. Maybe some recordings, not to be taken out for gigs? Are they hard to take care in that condition?

actually I already confirm the purchase of this bass by the end of month, hope to get some advice from any guys of u who familiar with vintage guitars.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    1.) Of course! Use it as much as you'd like. Its your bass! I personally don't gig my 1962 Precision because it's too valuable, and here in the city, I can't take chances letting my eyes off of it for a short time in fear someone will steal it at a bar..that's just my own paranoia though. I will use it for rehearsals or studio work, no problem. If you're the type of person who plays rough biker bars, or have habits of losing stuff a lot, maybe keep it at home on gig-night.

Use your own judgment. A lot of people gig their vintage stuff, a lot of people NEVER do. I always gig my 1975 Precision, though! It's a beast, and actually works better for my band's sound. It's not overly valuable, and I got it for a killer price. I say Gig away!

2.) If treated properly, a bass will last forever. The wood just gets older and makes it sound more and more unique with age. Some pickups in older basses die and might need a re-wind. You'll know when the sound starts to die out and stops making noise. I wouldn't worry about it though, unless your bass has real low output.

3.) See answer #1.

Also, in my opinion, a vintage bass can have a tone that you can't reproduce with any other instrument. I think that's what makes vintage instruments so coveted to a lot of people. I say, play the crap out of it, as much as you can! Glass cases are for wussies and collectors :) I keep my basses on guitar stands out in the open at home so I can play them as often as I please. Also I love to sit and admire them. :D

Post pics of your Jazz!

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The price is OK for a vintage USA Fender Jazz, as long as the refin and PG are the only changed parts.
    Hopefully the guy selling it isn't the one who told you vintage basses just die one day.
    Don't be afraid to play it. If you take care of it, it will last a long long time.

4. I like the early 70's basses. Play it as much as you want to. You will love it.

5. passionbass

passionbass

Nov 9, 2010
    Really thanks for advice u guys. Going to get it by end of month.
    I'm afraid it's going to need a pickup re wind very soon as the output is much lower than a 15yr jazz bass.