1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Fender Neck width... ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mandrlane, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mandrlane

mandrlane

Dec 22, 2006
    I just grabbed a 1976 Fender Precision from an auction house... Looks to be all original, but missing the bridge cover. Paid $1,100 for it... anyway, I plugged it in and played. The neck feels really thin at the nut. I have another bass with an early 80s (believe 82) American Precision Special neck on it. the 76 is thinner.

I heard at one point(probably here) that some of the old p-bass necks actually had the same specs as the jazz... type A necks I believe they were called. So... I was wondering if any one could verify this, and if anyone could provide links to spec options of fenders necks through the years... I googled and didn't find anything.

Hoping to verify that I may indeed have one of those precisions with the thin neck... or maybe they just all came that way??

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    If I'm not mistaking:

A neck: 1.50"
    B neck: 1.62"
    C neck: 1.75

Not to be confused with the common neck profiles: C neck for a C-back profile, V necks, U necks, D necks, etc.

But I have to look it up.

If you got a P with an A neck, that's a find! Not impossoble to find, but kinda rare.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Most common necks of that era were the 1-5/8" B necks, but yeah, some did get ordered with the 1-1/2" A neck.
    Just simply measure the nut width.

4. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    Many 70's P-Basses come in the "A" width... so its not uncommon in this era.

5. mandrlane

mandrlane

Dec 22, 2006
    Thanks guys... just measured. It is 1-5/8. So I guess that its standard... just thinner than my precision special... so though it was strange. but looks like they simply had various options. Thanks a lot for the info.

Now to order the badassII bridge and a bridge cover... amazing what a trash bridge it has :) ofcourse I'll keep the original stuff in a bg on the shelf :)

Thanks all!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't know what it is, but I find a lot of the 70's Precision B necks feel thinner than modern B necks... I think it's got to do with the fretboard radius or something. But I love those necks.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I got an old '82 P Special too, and the neck on that thing is FAT! the B neck on my '72 P seems pencil-thin compared to the Special.