Vintage Fender P Basses Purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by salsjag, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Vintage Fender P Basses

I need some opinions in making a P bass purchase. I want to buy a vintage Fender P bass. I am considering two specific basses. One is a 1969 and the second is a 1973.Both come with all origional parts (the 1973 has a 1976 pick guard) and correct serial numbers on the neck plate. Both basses are Sunbursts and in very good to excellent condition. The 1973 has a maple fingerboard the 1969 has a rosewood fingerboard. I have a money back satisfaction guarantee on both. The price for the 1973 is $1,250 and the price for the 1969 is $2,350. The big question is which one would you buy and why.
    I am confused as to which way to go.

Thank you for your help.
  2. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Get the 1973

*It has a maple neck (sweeeeeet)
    *It costs about half the price of the 1969 (which is still a lot of money)

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Get the one that sounds better.
  4. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    get both, keep both for ten years and resell the one you don't like... you'll get more money anyway
  5. Owning a few of these myself ('57, '58, '59 and '66 p basses), I'd vote for the '73 given the information you have provided. The price on the '69 is a bit steep IMO, and the differences bewtween '69 and '73 p basses are not that substantial. HOWEVER, not all Fender basses are created equally as you probably know...there are dogs in every year. I know the '73 is 30 years old but I'm not to the point yet where I call 70's p basses "vintage".....there's no exact science to this, it's all in the eye of the beholder. Heck, guys on Ebay are selling 80's basses as "vintage"----that's a farce in my opinion. Having said that, many probably view a '73 as "vintage".....but it doesn't mean a thing if you don't like it. Good luck!
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    That's a really good price for the '73. Almost too good.

I had a '73 that was tobacco burst with a black pickguard, ashtrays and the thumb rest was actually on the controls side of the pickguard.

maple neck and fb.

Does the '73 that you are looking at have the thumb rest on the controls side ? IF not then it's not original.

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I too would suggest the 73 as a better deal at 1250, that's a really good price.
    2350 is way outrageous for a 69 PBass...a JBass yeah, but a P no way.

If it is a true 73, other than the fretboard, they sould essentially be the same bass. Since it's sunburst, the 73 should be alder body just like the 69, and the pickguard and finger rest should be the same, and the tuners are the same (73 was the last year they did it like the 60's stuff).
  8. Vintage P Bass

Thank you all for your opinions. Looks like the '73 makes more sense. I Hope it is still available.
  9. Don't forget to post some photo's when you make your purchase!

Happy Holidays!

10. PartlyDave

Dec 28, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you have the money for the '69, why not go for a bass made befor '66? Look around, they are out there at the price asked for the '69. A pre-CBS is truely "vintage", will likely play and sound better, and have a much greater resale value. But take caution, like someone else posted, some Fenders are lemons no matter what the year - but you have a much better chance at getting an awsome bass if you go pre-66.
  11. extreme

Mar 20, 2000

Do you have any actual photos of any of your Fenders?
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I gotta go for the '73, I'm a huge fan of maple fretboards, and it's true, they're basically the same monster, and one's half the price. But my personal rule, if it's over twenty five, considering the instrument has only been around fifty years, that it's vintage. Either way good lucks and post pics soon!
  13. 1973 P Bass

I decided on the 1973. Bought it from The Low End and should be receiveing it by the end of this week. One really good thing is I have a 2 day return guarantee for a full refund less shipping. So if by some chance it doesn't measure up I can get my money back. I will post pictures when I get the '73.

Thank you all for your opinions it helped very much.

14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ

Nice bass, I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially since you're buying it from Brian.