Vintage Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wjr5, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Saw a '60 Fender Precision at a local shop. Played fabulously! Couldn't believe it. Even without an amp notes seemed to sing out of it. Action was best I've played on a Precision. Are these considered a good investment? I would also take this out for jobs as well, the way it plays.
    Not a cheap item however! Anyone else with pre-CBS Fenders that love them, regret it? Curious. I'm not that familiar with the Vintage market but was completely taken aback by this one.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't regret buying a vintage P, my only regret is waiting so long...I should have sold off some of my other gear years ago when they were a lot cheaper :rolleyes:

They're not for everyone but if it really screams "play me" the only question is $$$$, same issue as with modern boutique axes.

As an "investment", forget it. It will probably hold it's value and even appreciate somewhat but it's not like a REAL investment (stocks, bonds, annuities, real estate, etc.) in terms of return. Sure, it might double in value over the next 20 years (that's only a 5% annual return) but in the last 20 years it's probably appreciated 10-fold (like 50% annual return) so you've missed out on the greatest investment potential.

Besides, to be an investment you have to eventually sell it! Then you can't play it any more :meh:
  3. go for it, I have a post CBS vintage, a 77' P, its really nice, plays wonderfull, looks amazing and sounds insane, i got it for 1,200 i am very happy with that deal
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Interesting, do you realize the original post is 4 years old?
    I wonder if the op ever went back and bought that preCBS P?

It's funny reading brianrost's post, because four years ago preCBS basses (even early CBS) were a lot cheaper, and prices went crazy during that time...dare I say, many were within reach looking back at them now.
    My '69 J has doubled since I bought it in early 03.
    And we've definitely have watched some dealers make a killing buying and selling during the last four years too.

When I think back to 2001-2003, I can remember all of the nice vintage items hanging on the walls of a couple shops and guitar shows here in my area, and looking back I realize I could have afforded them then, but cannot touch them today.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Holy thead necromancy!

It makes me laugh about the 'not an investment' comment...with the way the market for old fenders is these days, 5% is well under the average performance. I bought my 73 in 2001 for 700 bucks. Look at what they're getting 6 years later! :meh:
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I remember real cool things at the early part of Y2K. 68/69 Telecaster Basses could be had all day long for 7-800, early 70's P's and J's were under a grand, 65 J sold for under 3k, 61 custom color J was half of what they are today, couple of 56/57 single coil P's were obtainable, preEB Stingray's could be had for 850 all day long too.
    I say that now, but I don't know what I was thinking then. I know for me back then I took things for granted not thinking prices would change much.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I know what you mean. I remember back in about 90 or so, looking at an old Gibson Explorer at a shop, and it was "an old one" that was a fixer-upper because a lot of the hardware was rusty. Under 300 bucks.

I also remember walking into a local music store and there being a huge wall of used fenders all of which seemed out of reach to me...for under 500 bucks. I still don't get the whole black block 70's thing that's so in right now. Me, my friends, and everyone I ever talked to thought they were atrocious and we only would look at block Jazzes if they were pearloid.

Witness Arlen Roth, who has stories of buying 50's telecasters from a guy out of the back of a beat up car in the late 70's or early 80's. They were 100 bucks. The guitarist in the band I played with in high school bought a blonde white guard tele from the late 50's...and hated it, although he didn't know what year it was or what any of that meant. Traded it for a Charvel Model 4. And thought it was a good deal considering the tele was 'an ol' beat up thing.

The first bass amp I had was an SVT with 8x10. "on loan" to me from a friend who "borrowed" it from the local high school. It wasn't any big deal. Everyone actually thought it was a piece of junk.

Huh. Wish I knew then what I know now, and I'd have a house full of stuff. Guitar Player magazine would run issues about "vintage strat fever" and stuff, and they were STILL cheap.