Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pet, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    I'm looking for a vintage fender in around 50's thru late 60's. im torn between jazz or a P? whats your opinion and why?(dont tell me to get what i want because i dont know)
  2. jazz, om one word jaco.if u cant decied do this,figure a price u wount go over. i wouldnt pay more then 2,000 for a old fender. and most arent priced over that. on week ends go to shops that have jazz and p basses and when u find the one. thats how how decied wich is for u.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Why are you drawn to a vintage Fender? If you're not sure which bass you'd want, go play some newer Js and Ps and decide from there.

I would thing that someone ready to lay out some serious bux for an old Fender bass would know which one they want. Could be an expensive mistake if you chose the wrong bass and overpaid.

The J wasn't out until about 1960 so anything before that is a P, of which there were two styles.

Is it just an old looking Fender bass you seek...look at the reissues.
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Seein's that the Jazz didn't come out until 1960, it was only P's before that, and you're even thinking of 1950's, it would seem to me that your looking for a Precision.

Brush-up on your Fender knowledge. You need to learn to spot repairs and parts that have been swapped from different vintages so you know you're getting what you paid for.
    Take your time. Whatever you buy from the 50s/60s is going to be very expensive. It seems prices have gone up over the last year...anything pre-CBS (before 1965) that is in original shape you're not going to find under 2 grand (try more like closer to 3 grand these days), sorry.

From what I have seen, J's command a higher $$ than P's of the same vintage. Keep an eye out for vintage guitar shows in your area.
    Ebay seems to be the 'cheaper' place to pick up vintage fenders if you compare at prices that vintage guitar shops list, but of course, buyer beware on ebay.
    The two most expensive places for vintage Fenders I've seen is NYC and LA. Compare ebay to listings on
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    For what a vintage Fender would be worth dollar wise, IMHO you would be better off getting a Skyline Joe Osborn, or Bob Glaub bass.
    Joe Osborn said of the Fender re-issue Jazz bass-it didn't even come close to feel, and sound of his 1960 Jazz bass. From what he said, that is what the Lakland does.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of my 2000 MIM jazz, and getting a Joe Osborn skyline bass.
    I wouldn't mind the Bob Glaub Pbass either.
  6. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I have to admit that I'd be hard pressed to lay out ANY money at all for a vintage piece unless I knew the ORIGINAL OWNER and bought it directly from him/her.

If there's one game that's FILLED with unscrupulous characters, it's the "Vintage" thing. You can find folks shamelessly selling decals, neckplates, etc., right on popular forums. :^>) They see no problem at all with putting a name brand decal on a no-name neck and then selling it--or the entire bass-- as "Vintage". Even the experts will tell you that they often have a difficult time telling the forgeries from the real deal.

7. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    For a list of instruments and dealers. Pick up a copy of "Vintage Guitar." It is filled with listings.

You can expect to pay at least 2k-3k for anything pre-CBS. Sometimes you can find a re-finish bass for a more resonable price.

Jazz basses go for considerably more than P-basses. I have seen two in the last month for over 10k. (Then again, I saw one of Jaco's jazz basses go for $35,000 about 10 years ago.)

hope this helps
  8. Come on man, I already told you that the Jazz bass came out in 1960. Don't bother with a Jazz bass. You need a P bass. Just look for something that's all original, but don't worry if it's not in good condition. I would think that something from the late 60's to early 70's would be just about as good, and a lot less expensive.
  9. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I disagree completely. I know what he "needs".......and he needs an accordion. A nice red one.......with white pearl keys and black, shiney bass buttons--lots of them! And he needs his name written out in genuine imitation diamond trim............and a nice bow tie....... THAT'S what he needs. :p

psssst. Pet....c'mere, closer--so I can yourself a favor and get what YOU of each would be nice. As you can see; if you ask others what you NEED, we'll all be happy to tell you......and nobody has the answer---or even a clue---except you. Shhhhh.. :)
  10. i thought i had the answer. figure a price u are willing to spend. save the money and when u have it start going to music stores. play p basses and jazzs basses. and when u find the one that speaks to u buy it.
  11. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    no crap. let me make this more clear for you, i am looking for a p bass form 50's to 60's or a J from the 60's.

EDIT(JT): let me make this more clear for _you_. the primary rule around here at talkbass is respect for all members. calling them morons and talking down to them when they try to help you is NOT respect.
  12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Whoa! Calm down! He was just trying to help you out with a little information. You didn't specify that you already knew that there was a difference in the 50s P-Basses, and that there were no Jazzes before '60. Seems kinda odd to me that you are willing to lay down a few grand on bass when you don't even know what you want.
    FWIW, I recently sold an all original, with tags 1960 P-Bass, from the original owner, for $3500, so you're gonna be laying down some decent coin for an old Fender.