Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Fenders: Precision or Jazz???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diezel420, Mar 12, 2001.

1. I wanna have more options than I have now. I've got basses that sound really sharp/clear/modern, and now I want an old Fender. But as of yet I can't decide between a Precision or a Jazz. I think I want something from the 70s and preferrably w/ a natural swamp ash body. I play a variety of styles (fingers, thumbs, picks, slappin', you name it/I do it) and I simply can't decide between Ps and Js. Which would YOU choose?

PS- I might use Ebay.com. Looks like some nice stuff on there. Anyone got comments on Ebay?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Since you want versatility and do slapping, go Jazz. Slap on a P sucks IMO.

Personally I'm allergic to Fenders, but I HAD to play one it sure would be a J.

3. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I would recommend, if you can, one of each. The older P basses have a giant old Motown, Rock character. Just huge. And any J bass is a good J bass! :D

4. Hey Diezel420, to give you a one word answer:
    A Jazz. More versatile.

If you like the sound of an old Precision though,
    I can recommend trying an Epi Jack Casady. Doesn't
    sound exactly like a P-bass, but, believe me it's
    in the same neighborhood. More acoustic sounding.
    I just got one in January and it's pure pleasure.

Just an option.

Mike J.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have an Ash 78 Jazz. It's almost too nice. The one thing it really can't do is...sound like a P.

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Generally, I'm a P guy (my RB5 notwithstanding) but your key word was variety. I think variety gives the J the edge. I'm not a slapper but if I were the J would be my choice.

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have had both but I always stick with the Jazz it's way more versatile. I have a 77 J and a 74 J and love them both. I will get myself that pre CBS P bass someday though :)

8. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I would call up Roger Sadowsky and order a Sadowsky Vintage or Vintage PJ Model. Alder or Ash Body with Morado Fingerboard + Turtoise Pickguard...

David

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd love to have an old Jazz bass. I agree that the J has the most versatile sound, but In the Precision's defense, It has only one sound, but it's the sound.

I own a '69 Precision (Yes, I guess I'm biased in my response) It was modified with an added Jazz pickup at the bridge, like a Hot Rod P. It has a lower collectable value because it's modified, but you (I, at least) buy instruments to play, not put in a glass box and just look. Modified PJ basses are usually more versatile than a P-bass, yet still have that old school tone.

Will C.:cool:

10. PEANUT BUTTER OR JAM (P'S & J'S) THEY ARE ALL GREAT. PERSONALY MY BAG IS MY FENDER P-BASS PLUS WITH LACE SENSOR'S IN PLACE. ONE J PICKUP AT THE BRIDGE AND ALSO SOME P'S!! I THINK YOU SOULD JUST EXPLORE ALL THE OPTION'S IN THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF FENDER!!