1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage fisrt year MM sound on a fiver

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Arnopol, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Anyone know of a pickup/preamp combo that I could get close to the original first-year Music Man sound for a five string? I had a first year Stingray that was about my favorite electric sounds. I'm just too commited to 5 strings these days. I know that it's not just the pickup---there was something very special and unique to that first preamp sound.

2. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
  3. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    There is a prescence, Bite, and thump that I've never heard on an Ernie Ball. I know that some of this is nearly 40 years of aging, but there is something VERY different about the pickup/preamp of that year. I am sure that there are some boutique designers that are trying to get that original sound. Any ideas? A first year Stingray is the only bass I've ever used that blew a speaker at not super-loud volumes. It was that punchy and had that much prescence.