1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Five String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JMUrban, Jan 12, 2012.

1. JMUrban

JMUrban

Jan 12, 2012
    Hi!, anyone have got some pictures or info for an ERB younger than 1970?.

Im from a forum from Spain, and we have got some questions about this instruments, i don´t found any info on google about a particular model.

Greetings and sorry for my bad english!:D

2. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Prior to 1970, extended range basses weren't what they are now, if you would even call them that.

You mostly had 6-string basses (but not BEADGC 6-string, that didn't come until Anthony Jackson's experiments with Carl Thompson, Ken Smith and Fodera in the mid 1970's - early 1980's. I also think Modulus was the first to make a production BEADGC 6er instrument, but I'm not totally sure.). They were strung EADGBE like a guitar, except down an octave. Examples include the Danelectro LongHorn 6, Fender VI and Gibson EB6.

Fender also created a 5-string bass in 1965, but it was not very well accepted. It was strung EADGC, with fewer frets to keep the same instrument range as a 4-string bass guitar. Alembic also later offered a model that was EADGC. The real first BEADG 5-strings didn't start appearing until Jimmy Johnson modified his Alembic, and later other manufacturers (Steinberger, Ken Smith) starting making them as specialty instruments, followed by the Yamaha BB5000 in 1984 as the first production 5-string.

Hope I could help :D