1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Fuzz sound approximating the bass sound in the Love track posted here

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by geezerjpj, May 10, 2010.

1. The fuzz is in there but only becomes prominent half way through and then gets boosted progressively higher.

I'm looking for a fuzz that produces a sound like the one in the Arthur Lee track above...pretty mild but still square wave dirt with a lot of articulation that sits well in a mix...not stoner not too muffish.....60's freakbeat/psyche. I don't care about sustain so much as I play a lot of notes

I was thinking of the Frantone Lo-Tone or Electronix Crossdrive(formerly Facedrive).

In a previous post in another thread re bassfuzz.com I dissed grgryx questioning irrelevantly whether he played in a band or not. Apologies to grygryx... I was out of line...I was oh so obliquely/ineffectually trying to make the point that sometimes his reviews in my opinion lack detail as to how a pedal sits in a mix with guitars and drums.

This is always my principal concern...ie how does an effect work in a band setting.

your thoughts re the bass fuzz sound in the track above...thanks

2. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    That sounds like a "spitty" or "splattery" fuzz.

fOXX Tone Machine does that sound.

If you want your fuzz to sit well in a mix, use an EQ after the fuzz to artificially boost any mids "cut" by the fuzz.

3. What an unusual stereo setup...

4. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    ahahah yeah i was thinking about the stereo sound lol.

I can just about get that out of my EHX Tube Zipper. Its not quite as sputtery

5. Sounds to me like either the fuzz that was available on a Versatone Panoflex amp or a post production effect from over driving the boost. I get a similar sound mixing a clean bass with a mildly driven Big Muff or Daddy-O.