Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Sep 29, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Theres a few interesting vintage fuzz pedals on Ebay right now...anyone have any experience with any?

Maestro BB-1 Bass Brassmaster This is going for astronimical $...is it really that good?

Univox Super Fuzz U-1903

Uni-Fuzz 2

Vintage EH Big Muff

Arbiter Jumbo Fuzz This pedal looks really cool.

Gibson Maestro Fuzz-Tone

Fender Blender I guess they reissued this pedal recently, looks pretty cool.

Some very cool pedals. I'm starting to get a case of vintage effects GAS. It's not exactly easy to try before you buy with vintage stuff. I know alot of new fuzz pedals are based on classic circuits. Are the real deal vintage fuzz pedals really worth the high price tag...?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The P.E Depth Charge is a brassmaster clone. Mine was awesome. Ditto for the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz.

But honestly, I doubt feet with come in contact with any of those pedals. They pull great prices and are collectors pieces for all intents and purposes.

3. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    the FZ-2 from guyatone and the superfuzz from black cat are both superfuzz clones the sound of this superfuzz is hearable on grattitude and sabotage of the beastie boys

4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Oh wow...so thats the Sabatoge fuzz. :eyebrow: I never knew, thats a sweet fuzz tone.

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    yééaah
    this is a hard rockin' fuzz sound, really dig it!!

6. the fender blender sounds good, but you lose some output even with the boost on full.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've experienced vintage Muff's, and IIRC, that one if the year is correct should have the really old graphics, but doesn't matter in my book, it's modded, even if it's by Mike Matthews.

Now for me, I would love to have all of these, love vintage pedals and especially fuzz, however I wouldn't be able to bring my feet near them. That's what clones are for ;) Look inside most of those pedals and you'll probably find $20 worth of parts.

8. I think that depends entirely on the perspective of individual who is willing to part with the cash in their pockets. If they like vintage stuff and value the history and the surrounding aura... yes, it's worth the price tag. Just look how many people are bidding on that (awesome looking) brassmaster. On the other hand, if all you care about is the sound, as others have already pointed out, you can get that for a whole lot less money. :smug:

~ Charlie

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I was messing with my B.C. Superfuzz lat night and I thought I was Jack Bruce...for just a second. IMO it's a lot like the Frantone Lo-Tone but way more 'in your face' - bumblebee style :)
    Sure the old Brassmaster might sound better but those prices are nuts - they also only run on batteries and don't have a true bypass to my knowledge.
    Who all used the old Brassmaster? Chris Squire I think and possibly Robby Kreiger (maybe that was his Acoustic amp?)