1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage G&L Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thechillinvillain, Apr 19, 2014.

1. u47telefunken

u47telefunken

Jan 25, 2018
    Love the 81!.... And the Zappa posters!!

2. Trebizond

Trebizond

Nov 28, 2012
    Utah
    Thank you! I was fortunate to see Frank Zappa perform live twice.

3. u47telefunken

u47telefunken

Jan 25, 2018
    Very cool. Only once for me but I did get to shake his hand and say hello after the show. It was a complete accident too, just walked right into him as he was headed out to the bus. Have been to see DZ about 10 times now. I love to support what he is doing. He is so good at it too!

4. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    Tuning Key - G&L USA Ultralite Bass Reversible
    I don't know if there are restrictions for older basses. These are Ultralites with an aluminum post.
    Otherwise, Schaller BM (for EBMM or G&L basses; not BMF that is for Fender basses): Bass-Machine Heads BM | Schaller
    These have a (-plated) brass post.

5. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    Hey whats up y'all. It's been awhile. I started this club a few years ago, but didn't have the time to keep up with it - like giving folk numbers and stuff. Coming back to it, it's really cool to see people's beautiful Leo era G&L's. I've picked up a few extra's too, which I'll post at some point. But, I guess what I'm asking is: can anybody in this club takeover the giving numbers responsibility? Or could we maybe crowd source it somehow? I think the club is awesome, but don't have the time to upkeep it.

6. u47telefunken

u47telefunken

Jan 25, 2018
    Are the early L-1000's considered to be "better" than the SB-2's? I love my 82 SB-2 and recently picked up an 82 mahogany L-1000. My initial perception of it is that it doesn't really have a distinctive tone. It's definitely loud and powerful but wouldn't describe the tone as anything other than bassy. Now mind you, I haven't spent a lot of time with it just yet and have not played it with the band yet either, but so far it's not quite what I expected. The SB-2 still feels and sounds better to me. Any other thoughts about how these two basses compare?

7. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    Interesting question. The early L1000s typically sell for maybe $100 more than the early SB-2s. To my ear, the L1000 sounds similar to a p-bass on steroids - more gain/muscle/sizzle/growl/etc , while the SB-2 is more like a jazz bass on steroids. I think the L1000 is distinct in the mega p-bass role, but if you are interested in more distinctness, the OMG mode (i.e. single coil + bass boost) is definitely an iconic, signature tone from the L1000. It's hard for me to say which one I like most. I guess I'm glad I have both (well, actually I have 2 L1Ks and one SB-2) because both there tones are useable. All that being said though, its amazing to me that more people don't know about how cool the early SB-2s are. Best passive jazz type bass imho. I love those MFD single coils.

armybass likes this.
  8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    OK. Just curious..... how many vintage G&L Basses do you currently own? Do you have a family pic? :)

9. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    WIN_20150305_225745.JPG FB_IMG_1466221627568. 10494897_812154538797289_2748829703686985742_o.

bkbirge, tubatodd, TinIndian and 5 others like this.
  10. u47telefunken

u47telefunken

Jan 25, 2018
    Thanks, I appreciate the detailed reply. From the L1k I did expect more "gain/muscle/sizzle/growl" but am not finding it just yet. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to dial it in. What I do get is a clean, deep, rich bass tone, which I do want, but I'd also like to have the other tones you described. It's good to hear from someone who has both and can offer a comparison.

thechillinvillain likes this.
  11. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    @u47telefunken Try backing off the bass pot a bit. I haven’t played a L-1000 in ages, but all the L-2000s I’ve had or played seem to respond best with the bass backed off in the 50-80% range.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  12. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    @u47telefunken:
    About the gain/muscle/sizzle - I find a lot has to do with the amp set up you use, and how it handles the extra gain from the instrument. I can also dial in the really clean, deep, rich bass tone when needed - but I find I get that on either 1) my solid state amps, 2) my tube amp on a low gain setting, or when I plug the L1000 in the active jack. However, when I'm playing on normal gain setttings on my tube amps, the extra gain from the pick-up absolutely opens the pre-amp up into amazing growly territory, w/o going to afterburner high gain mode (unless I want that). I can get this a little out of my solid state heads, but they are mainly set up to reproduce absolutely clean bass with massive headroom, and so don't growl as much even when the pre-amp is pushed.

Another thing to note is that my ash/maple sizzles a little more than the hog/ebony. However, the hog/ebony has a cooler tone for r&b - it has a darker tone, but when I pop/slap the sizzle cuts through the darkness, and is beautiful.

Also, if you ever get a chance - w/your SB-2 try the bridge pick-up, with tone rolled all the way off, into a tube amp with a small amount of gain/overdrive. Depending on how you dial it in, it's subtle enough to be used in a wide range of genre's, and is one of my favorite sounds.

u47telefunken likes this.
  13. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    @audreycashin 's got me beat, that's for sure lol. I currently have 4 Leo era G&L's, but unfortunately no family pic right now. I'll post it when I'm back at my home this weekend. I usually stay at my girlfriend's more during the week - but don't worry, I have a Leo era bass at her spot, as well as my office ;).

But, I do have some individual pics. My '88 SB-1 is the bass that started this group, and is my #1.
    I have an '84 Sunburst/maple SB-2. The neck on it dates to Feb 29th, 1984, the leap year day, so I always thought that was cool. It's neck was badly warped when I got it, but after a planing during a refret, it now plays amazingly. I have 2 L1000ks: A hog/ebony 1980, dated to July 18th, 1980 (very, very early), and an 82 ash/maple with trans red. sb1_1. sb1_2. sb1_3. SB2 repair. 20180322_235514.

14. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Oh how wonderful. Those L1K’s!

thechillinvillain likes this.
  15. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    @u47telefunken: Here's a youtube where you can here a little of the growl and sizzle from my hog/ebony L1K. Admittedly the recording quality could have been muuucchhh better - the guy just had a single mic, so it sounds like I'm playing in the bottom of a well lol. That and I'm playing through a Roland micro bass cube.... But despite all that, a little of the growl and sizzle came through, so you might dig it. I think my hog/ebony L1K is basically the ultimate r&b bass - I really like the dark growl in lows, but having a nice high sizzle that cuts through.

pjbassist likes this.
  16. if you back off the bass and treble about half or so you get into P bass territory - add or cut extra to taste. Essentially though I think it helps to think of it as a P bass that sounds different... so mid punch rather than super bottom end and top end sizzle. Should work well in the mix mind, just nothing like a more jazz sound

u47telefunken likes this.
  17. u47telefunken

u47telefunken

Jan 25, 2018
    Yeah thanks! Love the video! That bass sounds amazing and gets into some territory that I haven't heard from mine yet. The comment about tube vs solid state might explain it, as I only have solids at the moment. However, the SB2 tone comes through nicely on the solids. I have noticed too that the pots on the L1k don't have a huge range. I don't get a lot of variation in tone as I roll the pots around. I think I'll put my shades on and watch that video again. Thanks a lot for posting that, it's great. I'll watch some more of you got em!

18. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    We all know it’s impossible to keep up with the likes of @audreycashin :D, but here’s my family. 1994 L-5000—let’s call it a leftover of the Leo era. 1984 Interceptor, my #1. 1983 SB-2. And the baby of the group—a 2001 L-2500.

A8B1A5BF-B49F-4592-BD60-522E10007D95.

19. I found my L1000 controls are effected by the input of the amp quite a lot. Into a walkabout the passive works while the active doesn't...

20. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Usually an active input is just a padded passive input, so using it does the same thing as lowering the gain control. L1000's can have a very hot output, especially if you crank the volume control up. Many of us L1K users (I won't say most 'cuz I don't know ;)) roll down the volume to get a closer to "average" output for a passive bass. MFD neck pickkups can overdrive most input gain stages if you open 'em up and hit 'em hard. With the LxK's tone control stack, rolling off the volume control doesn't seem to effect the tone as much as it does on a stock Fender P, for instance.