1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage G&L Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thechillinvillain, Apr 19, 2014.

1. quite a few active/passive amp inputs will have a different impedence as well as having a gain drop. That will effect the way the tone controls interact

TomB likes this.
  2. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Anyone know where I can find a knob for my '83 L2K? - the chrome is flaking off one of them, and it can be a bit sharp...

3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Is it the old style with the indicator line? If so, G&L has recreated them for the CLF L2000 and L1000. They said the old style knobs should be available in the online store soon.

Knob - CLF Research - Bass

TinIndian likes this.
  4. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, it's the old style with the line - 2 out of 3 are good, one is treacherous, lol... Thanks for the heads-up...

5. Anyone in this club who knows how close sound wise an eighties L1000 comes to a single H Stingray?

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Yes, and not very. More like a very versatile P-bass, given the location of the pickup. The L1500 (now Kiloton) gets more in the StingRay ballpark to my ears.

7. The 1500, right. That makes sense.
    Thanks!

TomB likes this.
  8. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Or the Climax bass if you like Jazz width necks instead of P width necks.

9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    My L1500 has a #8 jazz-width neck stock. I think maybe the Kiloton comes 1.5” as well (?).

10. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I think the 1500 had the #7 as standard until 2010ish, then switched to the #8 as the default. Albeit any profile could be ordered....

TomB and bdgotoh like this.
  11. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    FYI, they just posted on Facebook that the knobs are available in their online store and you can get 20% off using coupon code CLF20 at checkout...

8B9533E4-37C9-49C2-93D4-024616237833.

12. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Thanks for the heads up... although maybe I'm wrong here, but it looks like there's a difference between the "guitar knobs" and the "bass knobs", and the bass knobs still appear to be out of stock...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    TDR1138 likes this.
  13. Hi fellow G&L enthusiasts ...
    I am the proud and happy owner of an old El Toro from the early 80s, and I especially enjoy the very specific tone from the mini-MFDs it sports.
    However, I also sometimes play 5vers, and after letting go of an old super-heavy Ibanez SRX that was killing my back, I am looking into having a new custom build that could be the 5 stringed couterpart of my Toro: light but punching you in the face without remorse. For same weight reasons I won't look into L-2500 (+ I don't like the fat neck on the L2500 and there are no neck options for fivers at G&L).

So the tricky part is finding the right pickups for this custom bass. These narrow MFD don't sound like the bigger L series, they are a bit less agressive, maybe a bit more "jazz bass" and less reminiscent of MusicMan pickup, probably due to the narrow aperture.
    For those of you who know these pickups, what would you compare them to ? Should I look into the dual jazz bass designs that can be found at Aguilar, Nordstrand etc ... or the Aguilar ceramic blade (assuming that the Toro pickups are ceramic designed like the MFD) ? Or something completely different ?
    Thank you for your thoughts !

14. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    Good luck with this quest. I've wanted to do the same but have yet to find pickups that sound like the El Toro's. If you find something close please let us know!

If it helps, I've tried Nordstrand Dual Coils, EMG 35DC dual coils (which are pretty dang good, but don't sound like the Toro), and Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, and none of them were a close match to the mini MFD humbuckers, unsurprisingly. They just happened to be pickups I had laying around.

thechillinvillain likes this.
  15. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    This sounds like a good test for the new G&L custom shop. They are set up to handle a lot of different custom options - like the neck - and I imagine might be interested in trying to reverse engineer the old El Toro pick ups. You should give them a shout. Would love to see how it comes out. I've wanted a 5 string El Toro for a long time.

16. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    Holy poopie they've shaggin' done it!!!! The Wunkay has returned!!!!!!!!!

TinIndian likes this.
  17. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    Lololol the auto change censor is hilarious. I'll let you guess what I originally wrote.

18. That's a nice thought, but I'd be very surprised if they'd ever do that. No, check that.....I'd be flabbergasted, incredulous, and happy all at once. Is there an emoticon for that?

19. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship? Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Can someone please call Ed Friedland to do these demos?
    Those are two different models with two different sets of electronics.

20. Speaking of....

Did I read somewhere that the infamous 1500 series has been discontinued?