1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage G&L Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thechillinvillain, Apr 19, 2014.

1. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship? Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I was sure it happened a few years ago.

2. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    A few years ago, I would have agreed with you that it would have been low probability to get them to do something like this. But... they just opened a custom shop this year for exactly things like this, so there's a better chance now than there has ever been. And they know that people have been clamoring for an El Toro reissue for years, so they have good reason to do it.

It'd also be a really cool thing to prod them to do. If you could somehow pull it off, it would also essentially pave the way for everyone else too, so you'd be doing a community a solid.

I guess it's your mission now, if you choose to accept it ;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. Are you referring to the CLF Research reissues like this L-2000? As I understand it, the 2K is meant to "pay homage" to the original L-2000 e-series, but the original v1 preamp is not being reproduced? (and likely the pickups are not wound to exact original specs?) G&L can replicate the original headstock shape, control plate and knobs, but without the v1 electronics package, the reissue will not be the same brutally powerful, amp overdriving monster bass that the originals were, as anyone who has owned an e-series can attest. I'm sure it's a fine bass, same as all current L-2000's are, and it's cool as hell looking, but it's no e-series. The CLF reissue L-1000 should come pretty close to the originals, being passive, but the modern MFD humbucker is not the same pickup as the '80 large hex, or '81 slot pole version MFD. But close enough so the overall vibe is there, I guess.

The problem with the El Toro would seem to be recreating the pickups. Not saying they can't do it, just saying retooling for that sort of thing can be expensive, so the demand for a reissue would have to be strong, seemingly stronger than a handful of us Gleeks here on Talkbass, most of which aren't likely to put our money where our mouths are at crunch time, anyway. Still, anything is possible. No harm in dreaming in the meantime, eh? ;)

CLF-L2000-3TSB-1200-nobkgrnd-1.

Tbone76 and mesaplayer83 like this.
  4. Dayum, where'd the time go? Now I have to decide what to do with mine. I was all set to do the capacitor mod to get it to sound a bit mellower. If that didn't work then the plan was to sell it. Maybe instead I'll hang onto it for a while, wait for its reputation as an unruly aggressive beast to be "discovered", and watch the value go up. ;) Kinda hate to jettison it, being that it's such an exemplary example and all.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    TomB likes this.
  5. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I'd expect the Kiloton represents the "taming of the beast", being essentially similar except passive with coil-switching and with an added pickguard. Oh, and the body's a little smaller, too. I haven't tried a K-ton myself, but they ought to carry on the legacy of the beast, I'd imagine. Heck, I run my 1500 passive anyway.

Templar likes this.
  6. That makes sense, I'm certain the preamp is the culprit. Or more specifically, the op-amp chip. A long time ago I bought a used L-1500 that was so harsh and noisy in active mode that it was unplayable with the pre engaged. I contacted Memo at G&L about it. He told me they had a run of bad op-amps around the time mine 1500 was built. He sent me a replacement chip which solved the issue. OTOH, my 1505 was a great sounding bass which leads me to suspect that different op-amp chips were used in the 1500 series basses at different points in time?

7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Quite likely. Mine is a 2009, with a #8 neck. The preamp is certainly aggressive, but very useable in the right circumstances. I just mostly don't encounter those circumstances :). In passive mode though, it covers many bases, and certainly gets into StingRay territory.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  8. kevink

kevink Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2001
    Glendale, Calif.
    I had that same exact bass pictured back around '82. Suffering from Fender envy, I didn't appreciate it, despite getting massive tone on our band's records, and sold it years later for nothing. So sad. Having said that, she was a pretty hefty gal though.

Thanks for posting the pic, it brings back a lot of memories. I haven't really been able to find a pic on the internet of my oldie until today.

9. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona

thechillinvillain likes this.
  10. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I have a 1981 L1000 coming in next week, it’s mahogany with a maple board is it gonna be a heavy bass?
    Thanks

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yeah, it probably will be heavy if my 83’ L2k is any judge, but heavy is relative. I’d rather have a well balanced heavy bass than a light neckdiver any day, and G&L’s are well balanced basses.

pjbassist likes this.
  12. TheeSeanT

TheeSeanT

Jul 25, 2018
    Hey guys,
    Anyone know where I might find an original pickup for a '92 Legacy bass? Finally found 1 online and snatched it up (to replace one that I bought new and was stolen), but in the pic you could not see that the pickup was replaced with an EMG. I'm still going to keep it, these are great players and rare birds, but really need to get the orig pickup in there

13. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I think most of those had ones made by Gotoh, though a small amount had some by Kent Armstrong. I don’t think it was uncommon for people to swap them out. No help in terms of where to find one, but I’m sure someone’s got some in a drawer somewhere...

14. Hey nice score. No pics?

Here's some info on your rare G&L bird.

GGJaguar's Guitarium and Ampeteria 1993 G&L Legacy Bass

15. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    2017 blueburst ash/maple,with body binding. Thought I would share? First L1000 I got in a trade few days ago. Mostly just for comparison,old and new,and the with,or without body binding? IMG_1031.JPG

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  16. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston I'm the one on the right Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    This is not my ad, I've been eying this 1980ish L2000 fretless with old headstock, slot-head poles, and looks like mahogany and ebony but I have one just like it and can't justify it. If you're in Houston you should take a look. Priced at $1200, it's not a steal but fairly priced. I think this is a resale shop, it's definitely not a music store, no idea if there's flexibility on the price, but most CL postings expect a little haggling.
    G&L/Musicman Bass

pjbassist and TDR1138 like this.
  17. snape

snape

Jun 12, 2018
    Hi there,
    I own a G&L L2000 Series E bass from aprox 1983. I'm not sure if it was exactly from 83 or 82, because it is a present of my grandpa and he passed away many years ago and I don't have any receipt of it.
    Unfortunatly I stoped playing bass some years later and didn't for about 33 Years. But I started at the beginning of this year again, and I enjoy it really.
    The bass is still perfect, I just changed the strings.

I liked to know something from you: I wonder if the saddle Bridge is in plastic. I mean, it is black and it feels like plastik. It looks good, but it is very strange for me.
    Can you tell me something about?

Here some pictures of the nice lady in black :)

G&L_kl.

18. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Very nice - it's in outstanding condition... No, that bridge isn't plastic - it's steel with a wrinkle black finish applied... I'm no expert, but I believe yours is an '82, due to the headstock shape - mine is an '83, and it has the later style headstock: G&L L2K(1).JPG G&L L2K(3).JPG

4stringsjack likes this.
  19. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    Beautiful bass! I have an '81 and an '82.

The black finish is a crinkle coat (paint or powder coat, not sure which) over the metal parts.

There's a serial number on the bridge; you should be able to look up the year from that. The serial number is probably B00......

20. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    This shows the location of the serial number on the bridge base plate. It's under the strings just above the saddles. This is my 1981 L2000.
    20170716_194518.

audreycashin and mesaplayer83 like this.