1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage gear in Probate settlement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FretlessArt, Mar 12, 2008.

1. FretlessArt

FretlessArt

Jan 24, 2007
    Connecticut
    A semi-famous Country western singer /guitar player has recently past away. This is a friend of our family and my first bass teacher when I was 10. I had been in a band with his son when we were young and we got alot of guidence from his dad.

I won't go into to many details but the 70 year old musician got married to a much younger woman 25 months before he died and she if fighting His children for things that are part of thier rich musical heritage amongs all other things in the estate.

Don't ask me about wills and legal stuff, but some how she has manipulated a situation that has her in control. Today I gave the son of the man who died a letter to discribe some of the instruments that belonged to him that were still in the house when his father died as she is claiming it all belongs to her now. He needs to bring this to a probate judge as evidence that some of this gear belonged directly to him and is not (in his fathers collection)

In his fathers bass gear there is an blond 1950's Fender bass amp. 2 1950's Fender Precisions, along with some old Telecasters, Gretch hollowbodies; all very cool stuff to pass down to the children and grand children, which was clearly the intention of this man.

Its such a low ugly thing when people are so greedy and would attempt to disrupt the rightful passing of family musical instruments to the next generation. This woman is a gold digging peach!

Out of respect for the family I won't mention the names. I just wanted to share this with my fellow TB'S.

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    They have wills and pre-nupt agreements. It's a shame, but it's his own fault for not using them. The widow is within her legal rights unless there's documentation to prove otherwise.

3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    x2 if he left everything to her then its hers no matter what.. Unless you have something stating otherwise

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    If you are this concerned you should consult an attorney in your state. TB is not the place for this.

5. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    "This woman is a gold digging peach!"

Guy should have thought about a will if he didn't intend to leave his property to his wife. I see nothing wrong here, other than your crude statement about her.

6. Sure, she has a right to it all, his kids be damned----after all they ARE HIS kids not hers....:rollno:

7. Hey I feel you bro...I know a few guys that have lost monster collections ether through divorce or in a court Probate even WITH a will. The problem is that in some states even WITH a will the spouse is still entitled to certain assets that can be shown to have been acquired during the marriage (similar to a divorce). In fact, in VA in the event that the deceased has no VALID and ENFORCEABLE (ie if somebody can prove that a will is invalid for ANY reason) will and that deceased has been married more than once, the assets can actually go back to the first WIFE. Here's the kicker, if the first wife and the deceased had NO children together and the second or third or.....wife and the deceased had 10 kids, the FIRST wife is STILL commonly recognized as the heir. How screwed up is that? If anyone here does not have a will,

DO ONE RIGHT AWAY!!!

I think that is the positive message that should come from this. I am very sorry about your friend's situation and I feel for that family more than you know. My uncle passed away a few years ago and left my 2 brothers and I 17 GTOs, a 1969 Camaro CONVERTIBLE, a 1970 Judge, a 1975 and a half Pontiac Grandville Convertible (with 31,000 actual miles on it and it has never had a drop of rain fall on it, the soft top is original and the car is cherry :eek:) a couple of custom Vans, and a gun collection with over 400 long guns and handguns. Talk about trying to settle everything....Fortunately, we all get along and it was not that difficult but it was still a royal pain to deal with it all. It won't be easy....

Peace,

T

8. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I'd like the Telecaser

G

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Two sides to every coin. Hopefully some kind of arrangment gets sorted that leaves most people satisfied...although we all know that probably won"t happen....

10. I'm a notary public by profession and unfortunatly see this very often. The law in Malta is a bit different and has been amended to some degree with both positive and negative connotations.

In my line of work I've seen families wrecked fighting over inheritance and many times it could have been avoided by the decuius (dead person) having made a will. People tend to dispute less when the decuius has made clear how he wants his estate to be divided. When drafting wills I often include clauses to the effect that any party who contests the will and the dispositions made by the testator will loose any benefit which he might have acquired by virtue of the will and the inheritance.

My advice to all is to make a will as soon as one is married, particularly when children are born

11. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    "In fact, in VA in the event that the deceased has no VALID and ENFORCEABLE (ie if somebody can prove that a will is invalid for ANY reason) will and that deceased has been married more than once, the assets can actually go back to the first WIFE."

That's better than the assets going to the commonwealth/state.
    They have to be specific when they write it.

The lesson is:

HAVE A WILL

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I have to agree with the majority here. It's not the wife's fault that she has the instruments. It's the unfortunate deceased who didn't make the provisions for those instruments in a will.

My father passed away last year, and kept his will up to date. I knew everything in it, and had a copy. I should probably do the same soon.