Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

vintage gear preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pesticle, Feb 6, 2003.

1. I recently got a Acoustic 150 along with its Acoustic 105 4x12 cab.(1970s) Its a wonderful piece of equipment (so clean!) but it does lack alot of tone possibilities. (only a 2 bander) I was wondering what i should get for it to improve the tonal range of it, while still keeping my sound uncolored. Would getting a mxr m-80 or sanamp be the best bet? Or should i get something like the yamaha ne-1 parametric eq box. or something different all together? Or i could hold off on that and get a Behringer Composer Pro for $100 or so. Can anyone describe what a good compression unit will create in my rig? (i know what compression is, but i have no experience with a good rack unit) thanks to anyone who helps

2. ohhh..

forgot to mention... i only have about 140 dollars

3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i have an original 1974 Acoustic 140 haed and the 106 2-15" bottom. I agree that tone shaping is limited. I've used a 7 band eq pedal to "scoop" the mids. I have a Yamaha NE-1, but i've never tried it on the old Acoustic--i'll give it a try tonight and let you know what i think.

ps--isn't that amp a guitar amp, not bass?

4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Finally got around to using the Yamaha NE-1 through the Acoustic 140/106 amp (used the '74 P-Bass to keep vintage!) Net effect is it didn't change the overall sound/tonal range much. I think a graphic eq would give more flexability, but I don't think even w/ that you can vary the tone of these much--they are what they are!

5. My suggestion is to see how much tonal control you can get with the controls on your bass and with your hands before you add a stompbox for EQ. This has worked for me! I do have active basses with pretty diverse range of tones, though. I was thinking about adding a foot stompable EQ and found that it added something I didn't like to my tone even on bypass. -Wes