1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Gibson Experts - Help - Issue (on my NBD) Pics Inside! :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

So I just got this '78 Gibby RD Artist. She obviously was neglected as she needed a thorough cleaning, setup, etc.

I was able to adjust the truss and get the neck relief close to flat (with a little relief) and I was ready to set the action and intonation. I couldn't get the action lower than medium-ish (even through I had the adjusting studs screwed all the way down to make the bridge as low as it would go).

Scratching my head I inspected the bridge further. It looks to me like the inserts holding the bridge in the body have started to pull out.
    Update:
    Upon further inspection, you are right. It's the studs. They won't go any lower into the body, but there are threads exposed and they really should. It's like the holes aren't deep enough.

Is this somewhat normal and is there a fix? Thanks so nuch!

20170116_173516_zpssncyux7s.

20170116_173536_zpsmpwgzekl.

20170116_173602_zpsijv59lph_edit_1484606889631_zpshzgc4txn_edit_1484606933070_zpsztg4ww4b.

20170116_180646-1_zpsdrhok1az.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  2. timsmcm

timsmcm

May 23, 2011
    Looks like you could screw the tailpiece studs lower to the body. Your picts are fuzzy. Can you get them sharper?

3. Quadzilla

I have the large screws (flat-head adjusters) all the way down. Here is a picture of one of the two sides. They just won't go any further no matter how hard I try.

20170116_180646-1_zpsdrhok1az.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  4. Quadzilla

Upon further inspection, you are right. It's the studs. They won't go any lower into the body, but there are threads exposed and they really should. It's like the holes aren't deep enough.

5. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I love the bass but having never owned a Gibson Bass I don't have an answer for you.

Subbed cause I'm curious what the answer will be .

Quadzilla likes this.
  6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    You should be able to get that bridge lower, my Gibsons from that time are. No part of the mounting ferrule should be above the finish.
    Some better pics would be helpful tho.

Like these:
    bridge4.

bridge1.

BassmanMetzger56 likes this.
  7. timsmcm

timsmcm

May 23, 2011
    Loosen your strings, take them off. Then unscrew your tailpiece screws. Take a small piece of wire or a match or tooth pick and measure how deep the holes are. Before doing anything take a flash light and make sure someone has not put anything inside. Some people will put things like ball bearing or wood dowel to get a tight fit . Don't laugh I have seen it before on lespauls. Take picts and let us see.

8. Quadzilla

Thanks T! My bridge simply won't go that low. I'm going to try what TimsMcm suggested.

TBird1958 likes this.
  9. Quadzilla

Thanks TimsMcm. I'll give that a try because that's the only thing left besides looking at aftermarket bridges which can be quite expensive, plus I'd much prefer to keep her all original!

10. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Pull them and measure them and the holes to see what's up. They may just need a couple whacks with a plastic hammer to be seated all the way.

11. Quadzilla

I'm going to disassemble the whole bridge assembly tomorrow and take measurements, etc and will report back. Thanks for all of the help so far everyone!

12. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    It's... not common, but does happen more than it should... for the pressed in inserts to pull out of the body. My T-Bird is fine, for instance; but, I did check it when I got it. If that's the problem, it's a pretty easy fix. And, as timsmcm said, there may be something down in the holes. IME, someone has done just about everything at one time or another, so that wouldn't surprise me a lot... And, it's also possible that the holes just weren't drilled deep enough. Seen a repair video of that, once, too... Anyway, good luck with it, and let us know what the verdict is...:thumbsup:

13. timsmcm

timsmcm

May 23, 2011
    It would be better to make the studs shorter than to drill out the bushing pockets. I have had to repair that before also. Those bodies are soft and,a drill can get away from you. Take picts so we can see.

14. Quadzilla

So I took everything apart. There is nothing in the holes that shouldn't be. They are just a bit too shallow.

I don't want to drill the bottoms of them for fear of mangling the threads on the receivers in the body and also, if the drill gets away from me, it could come out the back of the body. Just not worth the risk.

I can replace the OEM bridge with a Hipshot (assuming that it can make the action lower that the stock bridge). Hipshot SuperTone - Best Bass Gear

Other option is to take the OEM studs somewhere and have them cut down or maybe cutting deeper/wider grooves in the OEM bridge saddles.

Any of you have experience with the Hipshot bridge or any other OEM replacement? I'm leaning that way at the moment.

15. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    That's a nice bass. Get the OEM if it will fit proper.

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The Hipshot is nice but the Babicz 3-point bridge might be a better fit. Looks better, IMO, and the adjustment system is very user friendly...nicer than anything available, I think. Babicz_Black_3_Point1.

Take a look at the Thunderbird thread for some more info. I've seen posts for both bridge mods there.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  17. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I think you should drill it out a bit so they fit well. Its kind of like a factory flaw. The trick is to find someone who has a good drill press. It will only take a minute and will be a correct fix for the flaw.

18. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    The ultimate solution might be to have a luthier reset the neck. The pitch might be off.

ajkula66 likes this.
  19. timsmcm

timsmcm

May 23, 2011
    Just shorten the studs. Or if you want to keep it stock buy another pair of studs and cut them down it is easy to do. Get a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel then clean up with sand paper easy peasy. But that Babicz 3-point bridge looks the boobies.

ajkula66 and TBird1958 like this.
  20. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Tone Pros probably has shorter studs. keep that beauty in it's original state please!

NOVAX likes this.