1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Gibson Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrme93, Mar 17, 2009.

1. mrme93

mrme93

Jul 7, 2008
    Someone in my city is offering a "Gibson '78 RD Standard Bass"

I love Gibson basses, especially the odd shaped ones such as this and the Thunderbird.

So..what I'm getting at is what do you guys think of this bass for the price it is being offered at.. is it what it is described as being?

This is the description of the bass:
    Rare 70's Gibson
    Refinished
    All original hardware and electronics
    no breaks or repairs
    Huge Gigbag Included
    $1100obo (CAN)

pics included are pics of the bass

Attached Files:

2. mrme93

mrme93

Jul 7, 2008
    couple more pics

Attached Files:

3. Being a refinished Standard(as opposed to the more-sought after *Artist* w/it's Bob Moog-designed electronics)I'd say that's an OK deal- not awful, not screaming. Gibsons are known for headstock break/repairs- T-Birds moreso than RDs, but watch for it.

4. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Only mahogany neck ones. With the decals all over it I would not go higher than $800-$900, unless thy can remove them without any damage to the finish.

5. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Personally, I think that's too high for an RD. I've seen them selling for a lot less here in the states. There was one in NYC where you always pay more money, and it was selling for under $800

G

6. Is the flame thing a decal or painted on? My computer won't load larger pics and I can't tell. Paint would be kind of cool, but I'd pass on a sticker.

7. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Also they replaced the tuners and did a bad job. $700 $800 is a kind offer in my opinion.

Mint black on black ones go for around $1100 tops. Natural maple are the most common least desirable.

They are on crack if they think it is worth top dollar.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

Offer $600 and don't go above 8.

9. I expected some more-knowlegeable folks to add to this. Didn't know it was strictly mahogany necks on the fra-jee-lay thing, but those tuners looked a bit suspicious to me. If the seller is saying all original, I'd be doubly skeptical of anything else he might claim.

10. Something I can't understand disturbs me in this bass...
    Certainly the tuners ar not original... They started the deal with a lie.... The general condition looks bad.... I woudnt pay 500 bucks for it... DON'T BUY IT... keep your money... And learn to wait...

11. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    In fairness to the seller when he says "all original" he could mean that he hasn't done anything to it having been told when he bought it was all original. However it still doesn't make it all original. The tuners should look like these ones:

[​IMG]

With the decal and the tuners and the overall conditions I'd say no more than $650. A pristine RD standard is worth around $1000-1200 - about $500 less than an artist.

12. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Don't even give them an offer until they extinguish the bridge.