1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Vintage Guild Thunderbass Tube Head

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by richspillberg, Feb 5, 2016.

1. richspillberg

richspillberg

May 31, 2011
    Price:
    For sale is a late 60s Guild Thunderbass head in splendid form. I have a few of these things and am only selling in order to thin out my rig a bit. Only a few months ago this amp was recapped and retubed by Arkham Amps (www.arkhamsound.com). Will be shipped quickly and competently for $65.

Some things:

Recently nearly fully retubed (wonderful RCA 6L6GC tubes happily have lots of life in them)
    All 16 electrolytic caps recently replaced.
    New fuse holder installed
    Power socket installed
    Some drifted resistors replaced

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    60bass likes this.
  2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    For those like me unfamiliar with these amps - how many watts (into how many ohms)?

3. richspillberg

richspillberg

May 31, 2011
    It is a 50 watt head into 8 ohms. This last is debated among the Guild crowd, for there are two jacks in the back, one for an 8 ohm cabinet and one for an "ext speaker". Some are of the mind that it can handle a total of 4 ohms (an 8 ohm cabinet in each), others only 8. I've only ever run it at 8.

4. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello Rich. Between your two Thunderbass heads for sale now, which is better: "mighty clean kit" or "splendid form"?

Thanks,

Snaxster

5. richspillberg

richspillberg

May 31, 2011
    "Mighty clean kit" is just a shade better than "splendid form"; though, the head described as such doesn't have as many cool mods.

6. richspillberg

richspillberg

May 31, 2011
    :thumbsup: Do let me know if more photos would help.

7. beautiful, i had one with the 8417 tubes and it sounded great

8. jeffbass

jeffbass Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Lexington, KY
    My first bass head. Mine needed service, and I was young, ignorant and amazed someone had given me a bar band gig. Ahhh.... Memories. I'd love to pick one of these up and hear how they're supposed to sound. GLWTS!

9. where is the handle?

10. any chance its still around?