1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage guitars, the brand.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TravTrav, Jan 15, 2012.

1. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    Does anyone have any experience/opinions on vintage guitars (the brand)? I just ordered their pbass version. I figure it could be a winner since it has wilkinson hardware, and is the only pbass I can find lefty that doesn't cost 1K.
    (right handed shown, I know)
    64703_l.

Also, does anyone know if a Fender neck will fit on it?

2. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    they are good, I'd say about the same quality as Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe lines. I've tried quite a few of them. Definitely giggable instruments.

Don't know about the neck, but why would you want to change it? It should be perfectly fine.

3. i have played around with a few vintage basses and guitars in the shops and i really liked them. untill the newer squires came along if i was after a cheaper bass i would have gotten one of those.

i have a wilkinson P5 pickup in my yamaha (along with a basslines MM5) and TBH it sits well with the other pickup, i have a set of wilkinson pickups in my squire tele too (guitar) and they sound great very vintage fender tone (bridge pickup actually had the big trapeze plate on the bottom, unlike some tele sets ive seen)

as long as you have not gone for the cheapest model the neck should be fine and not need changing, the P and J that i played were like the squire series now but it was a good 5 year ago, the necks felt really solid and had the sweet vintage tint finish like my CIJ RI fenders.

4. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    I've a VJ96. I wanted to try something fretless. Love it, but I did change the nut and had the neck leveled. Now it plays like a dream.

5. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    Cool. Thanks for the input, guys. I ordered the LV4, just the lefty version of the V4.

To marihino: I don't plan on changing the neck, it's just my first bass' truss rod broke so that's always something I am paranoid about. I like to know it can be easily replaced if something goes terrible.

6. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    I've played me friends vintage jazz bass. It was unplugged so I cant comment on the pickups, but the neck felt nice. The Wilkinson hardware also seems really solid

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I just bought the Vintage Icon Jazz Relic bass and I like it much better than the Squier basses I've tried. It sounds really good, although the pickups have less output than some of my other basses. The neck feels really good too. I'm actually using it more than my MusicMan and Fender Jazz, although we'll see if that continues long term.

8. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    I agree. Vintage tend to better than Squiers. I have a VJ96 fretless which beats the Squier VM fretless. I'm also gassing for the V4 Tony Butler which I tried against the Squier Matt Freeman and it won hands down even before you take account of the price saving. Go for it - you won't be dissappointed. Vintage > Squier. :)

9. dlawlis

dlawlis

Mar 11, 2013
    Indiana, USA
    TravTrav-- If you don't mind my asking, where did you order your Vintage bass from?

10. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Hiho,I,ve got one and I gig it as well.
    I did change the neck to a maple neck as they didn,t do one at the time.
    The neck was a Vintage musoman copy.
    East job.
    Great bass especially for the price,stays in tune,nice weight,sounds good.A pick up and play bass.