Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"vintage" ibanez basses worth money?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigers2, Mar 14, 2002.

1. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    the first bass i ever had was a 1979 ibanez roadster RS-924. i've actually held onto it, because it has a lot of sentimental value. are people starting to collect these "vintage" ibanez basses?
    i really don't think i'll ever sell it, i just didn't know if anyone knew what it was worth.

here's a picture of one exactly like mine that i found on ibanezvintage.com

any help would be great.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Nope, they don't go for much and there's no serious collecting going on.

$5-600 is the top end for older Ibanezes like the Roadster, Studio and Musician or the various "clone" models and it's still largely a buyer's market.

That might seem like a lot but not compared to a pre-CBS Jazz Bass going for ten times that!

3. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    that's what i thought. my dad actually bought the bass for me when i was in sixth grade for about $250.00. i really don't play it because it weighs a ton. thanks for the help.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Craigers - Age really doesn't mean squat in terms of collectibility/price. Rarity is usually a minus except for the most intense afficianados.

Three of the factors that maintain or boost an old bass's value are, IME:

1. The make/model was a significant step in the evolution of the instrument; take an original Ray, for instance; a production instrument for the masses with a fully adjustable bridge, the 3+1 headstock, and tapered tuning posts, among other features.

2. A famous bassist owned it.

3. The "nostalgia" factor: the generation "raised' on a bass has matured and are making real bucks in the corporate world. For instance, my junky Sears Silvertone 2x12 from the 60's is now a coveted amp among guitarists and sells for about double of what I paid. We thought Electro-Harmonix pedals were junk at the time and guitarists scramble for them now.

So, if you can hold onto it and be patient, your Ibanez may stand a chance of becoming collectible down the road because it may have sentimental value for many people. The downside is that such instruments were made in much greater quantity than the older junk.

5. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i was just really surprised to see a "vintageibanez" website.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe they're the same people who ask, "You mean Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings???"

7. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    when is ibanez going to start making "relic" basses? it's only a matter of time.