1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage ICON V4 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pep, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I've been playing for a number of years (more than I care to admit) and much like many of you I've played numerous basses, some great, some good and some not so good.
    I'd been looking at the Fender Precision Road Worn. I owned a Precision years ago and it was one of my favorites. Given that I have quite a few basses, I've had difficulty justifying the money to add it my arsenal.
    I have a Vintage Brand AV4 which is a modified version of the Fender Jazz and have been extremely pleased with it. I was in a local music store on Saturday to purchase a new tuner when from a distance I noticed what appeared to be a Road Worn Precision, but turned out to be a Vintage ICON V4. I asked to play it and was so impressed with the sound and playability that I bought it ($399.99).
    I know there some out there who are probably saying you get what you pay for, but in this case I got a lot more than that.
    I used it Saturday night and it was awesome. The Wilkenson pickups are great. This bass is so much better than the Squier and in my opinion somewhat better lower dollar Fender versions
    Now as far as the roadworn appearance is concerned, the body and neck appear that way, but the pickguard, tuners, bridge and knobs don't. That means I still have a bit of work to do to complete the look, but that's minor.
    If you like the Precision Bass, you owe it to yourself to try the Vintage ICON V4. I don't think ou'll be disappointed.

2. Sorry for posting on such an old topic, but I do am quite interested in those Vintage V4 as well.
    I am on a budget and look for a PB sound but more importantly feeling on the neck when I play. I cannot play on something else, it is perfect for my gigantic hands.
    Hence my question: how is the neck on those V4 compare to the classic PB (an example I know: the Squier CV PB 60's) in terms of shape and dimensions ?
    Thanks for the replies ;)

3. I bought the Icon V4 P neck (should have got the body too, but stupidly noticed same seller listing too late).

I think it's great; nice vintage colour without being sticky, great grain to the rosewood. Unlike some of the Squier Ps whose necks are more like Jazz dimensions, the V4 is fairly P chunky, which I like. The only mild downer is the "relicing" of the tuners, which looks exactly like someone has carelessly run a coarse sander over them.

Sometimes, a used V4 goes for unbelievably low money and I'd say they're well worth a go.

4. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    +1000. A real unsung hero. I have the V4 MTB which is the Tony Butler signature. Same bass but black with a maple neck. Beautiful instrument for not a lot of dollar.

5. Exactly what I like, a big fat neck, thanks a million lad !

6. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    I,ve got one and gig it and people say including bandmates that,s the best bass I,ve heard in ages then they see the logo.
    It,s slightly modified

7. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008

Attached Files:

8. Wow, you've changed quite a lot, didn't you ? I'm asking because I've never seen a Vintage with that color. When you say you did your own neck, what did you use as a base ?

9. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    It,s a very early Vintage v4 which come in this colour including scratchplate.
    The neck is off a Vintage musoman copy(forgotten the model number)
    Fits like a glove,no work apart from redrilling 2 pilot holes for the neck screws.
    You get an extra fret as well which I never use anyway.The bridge I fitted caught the intonation so no worries there.
    Schaller old stock tuners which I had knocking about.
    Wizard thumper pick up.
    It sounded fine as standard and the hardware was good as well but you know what it,s like when you get started.
    I guessed that they would use the same machines in the factory without changing the set ups for sizing to save time and money and was correct .Perfect fit apart from holes on neck being a bit out.Couple of minutes with a 3mm drill to make pilot holes and the job was a good one.
    Vanity rules.I love the look of a maple neck
    Great bass.
    Recommended

10. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

May 17, 2009
    Cumbria, UK
    Just got myself one of these basses, i really like the vintage brand and with the icon series they're on a winner. For saying i got a new V4MVW for under £200 ($320-ish??), I was surprised at well constructed and finished this bass is. Its very light as well. I thought the courier had passed me an empty cardboard box at first.. I had a bit of setting up to do from factory set up, bridge saddle adjustments, intonation adjustments and new strings (Chromes!). If there was one thing to be knit picky about its that the alignment of the bridge with the neck is slightly out - the low E is sat further from the top edge inlay than the high G is from the bottom edge inlay. you cant expect it to be precision engineered for a budget bass though? Its not something Im worried about and it can be rectified easily as the first upgrade I do to most my basses is a bridge swap anyways.

Playability and sound wise I struggle to find any flaws with it for the price. It plays and sounds like any Fender Precision MIM I've tried out - for a quarter of the price.

EDIT: Also found the grooves in the nut are a bit shallow . next job is to file out the grooves...