1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage ICON VJ96, what do you think about it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassforce, Jul 19, 2007.

1. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    http://www.ritzmusic.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/1039?osCsid=841140515ad6c8b72689979703143dc5
    [​IMG]

Just played this little fella,a dn I think it could be a nice bass for me.

I heaven't heard it on my amp, they plugged me into crappy Hartke A35, so I don't know how this bass sounds.

Does anybody played this bass? I can't find any review on the net.
    What can you tell me about? I never played fretless, I am not sure how should fretless Jazz bass sound :)

Can it be compared to mexican Fenders or rather Squiers? ;)

2. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    That looks like one of the better relics I've seen. A bargain at the price they're selling for. Does the relic work look as good close up?

3. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    I used to have one, The relic job looks ok from a distance, Though close up looks a bit terrible, especially since every bit of it is reliced apart from the headstock Face. Which is really Gloss Shiny.

Its a nice bass for what it is. And a good first fretless.

4. Why not buy one of these and let gigs and time do the work on the finish?

[​IMG]

5. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    I think it looks very nice, all rips look pretty deep, it looks like dragged behind a car on street ;) Quite convincing. Pity that body is in mat, and headstock is glossy. Nice that they did some relic job on neck and headstock, but body should not be in mat.

But the most imporatant thing is HOW IT SOUNDS: Asomodal - can it be compared to a mex Fender? Or Squier rather :p

6. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    It's made of agathis, I dont believe in this wood.

7. I can assure you, it does exist.

:D

8. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Yeah, unfortunately :p

9. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Not to derail this thread, but I played one of these last week and could not believe how good it was. I mean, for that price ($279 I think?) it was just unbelievable. I've owned Fender, Warwick, Elrick, Smith, etc. and this thing still impressed me.

10. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    I would rather buy regular VM Squier Jazzbass and remove the frets.
    This Vintage and Squier are in the same price in Poland. ( for about 500$ )

11. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Hmm, Its a jazz Sound alright, The Bridge Pup doesant get alot of the Mwah that it should get, A pickup change will sort that out, The woods pretty good and mine was only made out of two peices.